Department of Planning and Development

Fairfax County, Virginia

CONTACT INFORMATION: Our office is open 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., Monday - Friday

TTY 711

12055 Government Center Parkway
Fairfax, VA 22035

Barbara Byron,

Zoning Related Permits

Zoning related permits issued by the Department of Planning and Development are listed below:

Food Trucks

Food Trucks are any readily movable mobile food service establishment, to include vehicles that are self-propelled, pushed or pulled to a specific location. Food Truck Location Permits and Occupation Permits are issued by the Department of Planning and Development, Zoning Administration Division.

Home-Based Food Production

A home-based food production use may be permitted as a home occupation and is therefore allowed as an accessory use, within a residence, with an approved home occupation permit for home-based food production. Home-based food production uses have additional standards within the Zoning Ordinance and are also regulated by the Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services (VDACS) and Fairfax County Health Department (FCHD).

Home Occupation Permit

Article 10 of the Fairfax County Zoning Ordinance allows certain businesses and occupations to be conducted in a dwelling unit as a home occupation provided certain of limitations are met. A home occupation must be conducted by the home occupation permit applicant within the dwelling which is the primary residence of the applicant or in an accessory building thereto which is normally associated with a residential use and shall be clearly subordinate to the principal use of the lot as a dwelling.


In accordance with Section 18-701 of the County Zoning Ordinance, no occupancy or use shall be made of any structure or of any premises, and no change in use shall be permitted, unless and until a Non-Residential Use Permit (Non-RUP) has been approved in accordance with the provisions of the Zoning Ordinance. A Non-RUP shall be deemed to authorize and is required for both the initial and continued occupancy and use of the building or land to which it applies.

Short-Term Lodging

Short-term lodging (STL), also known as short-term rental (STR), is any occupancy of a dwelling for a period of less than thirty days.  Prior to the adoption of the Short-Term Lodging Amendment, the Zoning Ordinance did not permit such uses in any dwelling unit.  The Fairfax County Board of Supervisors adopted the Short-Term Lodging Zoning Ordinance Amendment on July 31, 2018. 

Sign Permits

The Zoning Permits Branch, Sign Permits Section (ZPB/SPS), among other duties, accepts and reviews sign permit applications for compliance with the sign regulations of the Fairfax County Zoning Ordinance Article 12 and Chapter 10 of the Code of the County of Fairfax and issues sign permits for the installation of signs to be installed on private property located in Fairfax County.

Temporary Special Permit

A TSP may be required for certain temporary outdoor uses and activities pursuant to Part 8 of Article 8 of the Fairfax County Zoning Ordinance

21-Day Non-RUP

Temporary stands and structures for retail sales of seasonal items are permitted pursuant to Paragraph 15 of Section 17-104 of the Fairfax County Zoning Ordinance but require a 21-Day Non-Residential Use Permit (Non-RUP) issued by the Zoning Permits Branch (ZPB). 

Fairfax Virtual Assistant