PLUS Project Update
The Planning and Land Use System (PLUS) will be enhanced on July 1, 2021 to align with the new zMOD ordinance. More of the Department of Planning and Development applications will soon be submitted and reviewed in PLUS.
NOTICE: On Friday, June 25, 2021 ZED will retire the LDSnet software system and move all zoning application records to the new PLUS system. As of June 25, ZED cannot accept new submissions for zoning applications until Thursday, July 1, when PLUS comes online. At that point, new applications may be submitted electronically via PLUS.
Thank you for your patience as we transition to our new system!
DPD Operating Status
As Fairfax County enters Phase III, the Department of Planning and Development’s (DPD) customer service continues from a distance using online submissions, phone and mail. We encourage customers to continue to use our online resources. Bins are located at the front of the Herrity Building for drop-off of materials.
To accommodate individuals with limited access to technology resources or specific needs, in-person appointments are available on an as-needed basis, from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. DPD phone numbers and email contact information are provided below:
- Zoning Permits 703-222-1082 DPZMailforZPRB@fairfaxcounty.gov
- Zoning Administration 703-324-1314 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zoning Evaluation 703-324-1290 email@example.com
- Planning Division 703-324-1380 firstname.lastname@example.org
Zoning Permit Applications and Submissions
Please visit our Zoning Permits page to download and print permit applications, including:
- Food Truck Location and Operation Permits
- Home-Based Food Production Permits
- Home Occupation Permits
- Non-Residential Use Permits
- Short-Term Lodging Permits
- Temporary Special Permits
- 21-Day Non-Residential Use Permits
Applications may be submitted using one of the following methods:
- Mail the completed application along with a check for the applicable fee (payable to Fairfax County) to the mailing address on the application.
- Drop off the completed application along with a drop off sheet, and check for the applicable fee (payable to Fairfax County) in the drop-box labeled "Zoning Drop-off" at the Herrity Building main entrance.
- Email the completed application and submit an online payment for the applicable fee. All email submissions require an online payment. A copy of the online payment receipt must be provided at the time of application submission.
For zoning information requests or for submission of height certifications, final house location surveys, setback certifications, and contact with local zoning administrator forms for childcare, please send an email to DPZmailforZPRB@fairfaxcounty.gov.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding your application or submission, please send an email to DPZmailforZPRB@fairfaxcounty.gov or call 703-222-1082, TTY 711.
Building permit applications may be submitted through the Land Development Services (LDS) online portal. If a zoning review is required, the permit will be routed to the zoning permit section for review and approval. Please contact LDS if you have a question regarding the status of your submission.
Sign Permit Application Submissions
Sign Permit applications, along with submission information and materials are available online. Please note that staff assesses sign permit application fees after the application is logged-in. Following application log-in, staff will contact the applicant with the fee amount and payment instructions. All permit approvals will be emailed to the applicant.
For sign permit related questions, please send an email to DPDMailforZPB-SPS@FairfaxCounty.gov or call 703-324-4300, TTY 711.
Assistance from a Distance
Public Hearings and Meetings
Public Hearings of the Board of Supervisors, Planning Commission and Board of Zoning Appeals will follow the direction of those bodies. If you have specific questions about your application, letter, or other request, please contact the staff person assigned or the appropriate branch. You may also call our front desk at 703-324-1290 for assistance or general questions.
For the most up-to-date information on public hearings and meetings, please visit: