PLUS Project Update
On October 31, 2022, Fairfax County launched Release 4 of the Planning Land Use System (PLUS), the online platform designed to unify existing zoning, building, permitting and other land development processes into a one-stop-shop for industry and the public. Through PLUS, customers can conduct online transactions under the Departments of Health, Land Development Services, Fire and Rescue, Code Compliance and Planning and Development. Customers can create and submit applications online (such as building permits), pay fees, track application status, receive electronic notifications and conduct searches. PLUS will replace all legacy systems (FIDO, PAWS and ProjectDox) beginning October 31, 2022.
To use the new services on the PLUS platform, applicants must first register for a free account at PLUS Application Portal. Others can browse and search the site without logging in. More details about PLUS, and training materials, including user guides and videos are available on the DPD PLUS Information & Support page.
DPD Operating Status
The Department of Planning and Development (DPD) provides service to our customers from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.
Planners of the Day (POD) from the various divisions are available to answer questions. DPD’s Planner of the Day webpage contains contact information for the PODs and the types of questions each POD can answer. We encourage you to call or email us with your request or to set up a virtual or in-person appointment.
DPD phone numbers and email contact information is provided below:
- Planning Division | 703-324-1380 | email@example.com
- Zoning Administration | 703-324-1314 | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zoning Evaluation | 703-324-1290 | email@example.com
- Zoning Permits* | 703-222-1082 | DPZMailforZPRB@fairfaxcounty.gov
*Please note, all plat requests, permit review and application submission processes remain virtual; walk-in service for these functions is not available.
Zoning Permit Applications and Submissions
Please visit our Zoning Permits page to learn how to submit applications for the following permit types:
- Accessory Living Unit Administrative Permit
- Food Truck Location and Operation Permits
- Home Based Business Permit
- Short-Term Lodging Permits
- Sign Permits
- Administrative Permits for Temporary Uses
- and more...
Applications or permits that cannot be submitted online through the PLUS application portal may be submitted using one of the following methods:
- Mail the completed application along with a check for the applicable fee (payable to Fairfax County) to the mailing address on the application.
- Drop off the completed application along with a drop off sheet, and check for the applicable fee (payable to Fairfax County) in the drop-box labeled "Zoning Drop-off" at the Herrity Building main entrance.
- Email the completed application and submit an online payment for the applicable fee. All email submissions require an online payment. A copy of the online payment receipt must be provided at the time of application submission.
For zoning information requests or for submission of height certifications, final house location surveys, setback certifications, and contact with local zoning administrator forms for childcare, please send an email to DPZmailforZPRB@fairfaxcounty.gov.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding your application or submission, please send us an email or call 703-222-1082, TTY 711.