Zoning Permits Section

Fairfax County, Virginia

CONTACT INFORMATION: Regular hours are 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday - Friday. Check the DPD Operating Status webpage for more information.

TTY 711

12055 Government Center Parkway, Suite 250
Fairfax, VA 22035

Leslie Johnson,
Zoning Administrator

Nonresidential Use Permits (NonRUP)

In accordance with Article 8 of the Zoning Ordinance, occupancy, use of a structure or premises, or a change in use are not permitted until a Nonresidential Use Permit has been approved. A Nonresidential Use Permit is required to approve both the initial and continued occupancy and use of the structure or land to which it applies. 


In accordance with Article 8 of the Zoning Ordinance, a NonRUP must be obtained from the Zoning Administrator before any person may:

  1. Occupy or use, or permit to be occupied or used, any building, other than accessory structures as permitted by subsection 4102.7, and additions to existing structures that do not require site plan approval;
  2. Change the use, or permit a change in the use, of land or a building;
  3. Occupy or use any vacant land except for an agricultural use;
  4. Make any change in the use of a nonconforming use;
  5. Enlarge any use in a manner that triggers an increase in the amount of required off-street parking spaces; or
  6. Continue any use after a change in the owner or operator of the use, except residential dwellings or an agricultural use.


This publication outlines the certificate of use and occupancy requirements for commercial occupancies located in Fairfax County. These regulations do not apply in the towns of Clifton, Herndon, and Vienna. Section 61-1-2 of the Fairfax County Code specifies that a certificate of use and occupancy means the permits described in the Fairfax County Zoning Ordinance, including but not limited to Residential Use Permits and Nonresidential Use Permits.

Related Resources

Is NonRUP a Use Permit or a Certificate of Occupancy? It's both!


For additional assistance, please contact the Zoning Permits Section by phone at 703-222-1082 or by email.

Fairfax Virtual Assistant