Our mission is to promote livable communities which enhance the quality of life for the present and the future by:
- Promoting convenient, attractive, harmonious and healthy communities;
- Planning for future infrastructure needs;
- Encouraging a sense of community;
- Embracing diversity;
- Promoting the protection, conservation and restoration of natural and heritage resources;
- Addressing the needs of low and moderate income populations;
- Encouraging economic development and community revitalization;
- Enhancing stakeholder participation;
- Providing services, information and guidance on land use and zoning issues; and,
- Identifying and utilizing technological innovations.
The primary purpose of the Department is to provide proposals, advice and assistance on land use, development review and zoning issues to those who make decisions on such issues in Fairfax County. The Department of Planning and Zoning consists of three divisions: the Planning Division (PD), the Zoning Evaluation Division (ZED), and the Zoning Administration Division (ZAD).