The Fairfax County Park Authority and the Fairfax County Park Foundation invite students in grades K-8 to “Celebrate the Senses” for our 2018 Poetry Contest in honor of National Poetry Month in April. Delight your senses and draw inspiration from what you see, hear, touch, smell or taste in Fairfax County parks. Poems should be 100 words or less.
Rules and Guidelines
- Fairfax County Park lovers in grades Kindergarten through 8th grade are eligible.
- One poem per contestant, with a maximum of 100 words. Poems may be handwritten or typed.
- All poems submitted must be original works. Parent or sibling help is encouraged.
- Submit ONE copy of your poem by mail or online. Entries must be received by March 16, 2018.
- Poems must include a completed entry form (online or printable form are acceptable).
- Poetry will be judged on several criteria: originality/creativity, clarity, relevance to theme, and spelling.
- All poems submitted become property of the Fairfax County Park Authority and may be reproduced.
- Two winners will be selected in each grade category: K-2nd, 3rd-5th and 6th-8th grades.
- Two winners in each age category will receive $100 Fairfax County Parks prize pack and an invitation to read their poems at Springfest on April 21, 2018 at Sully Historic Site.
How to Enter
Students in grades K-8: ENTER TODAY!
Entries are due by March 16, 2018.
Mail poem and printable entry form to:
FCPA Poetry Contest
12055 Government Center Parkway, Suite 927
Fairfax, VA 22025
Six lucky winners will be invited to read their poem at a poetry showcase during SpringFest at Sully Historic Site on April 21, 2018. Winners will receive a prize pack ($100 value) to continue exploring Fairfax parks all year long. All participants will be recognized with a certificate and publication of their poem on the Park Authority’s website.
The Fairfax Parks poetry contest is sponsored by the Fairfax County Park Authority and the Fairfax County Parks Foundation.
For more info, contact Cristin.Bratt@fairfaxcounty.gov or call 703-324-8700.