Many resources are available for members who are nearing retirement eligibility.
In order to best handle the most common questions and concerns surrounding this life-changing event, we have put together the following information and resources to help members make the best decision for their situation.
For employees who want a better understanding of how their retirement works and what options are available for them, the Retirement Systems Communications Team offers a variety of Retirement Planning Classes.
Members who have specific questions regarding retirement issues have the following options:
- Phone Retirement Systems at 703-279-8200
- E-mail the Retirement Systems at email@example.com
- Read Your Retirement Handbook
- Enroll in a Retirement Class
- Schedule an appointment with your Retirement Analysts if you wish to retire or enter DROP and if you are within one year of retirement eligibility
To calculate your own estimated benefit for Normal Service, Early Service, Deferred Vested, or DROP benefit, please visit Your Retirement Account. Establish an account by choosing a Username and Password. Here you can override benefit service hours and incomes to see different projections of benefits.
1.) Decide what type of retirement you will apply for
Types of Retirement Offered by Fairfax County
- Normal Service Retirement, Early Service Retirement, Deferred Vested Retirement, Disability Retirement, Ordinary, Service-Connected
- DROP (Deferred Retirement Option Program)
2.) The following links provide a timeline to help you work through the stages
of the year prior to your retirement or DROP entry date.
- DROP Entry Timeline and Process
- Retirement/DROP Entry Checklist for School Employees
- How to read your Annual Benefit Statement
- How Does My Sick Leave Benefit Me
- Does It Make Any Difference When I Retire During the Year?
- How is my part time service calculated?
- How to ask for a Benefit Estimate?
- Beneficiary Information
- How do I start the Retirement Process?
- What Will My Retirement Pay Look Like?
- What is the Pre-Social Security Benefit?
- Enrolling or making changes to your Health/Dental Insurance/Medicare Coverage
- Options for Terminating/Separating Employment
- Psychological Challenges of Retirement
School Employee Members of FCERS