1. One or More Years Until You Reach Your Retirement Eligibility Date:
- Register for a “Planning for Retirement” or a “Retiring with Security” class.
2. Within One Year of Retirement Eligibility:
- Contact Retirement Systems to obtain a Benefit Estimate Request form.
3. Six Months Prior to Retiring or Entering DROP:
- Contact Retiree Systems at 703-279-8200 to set up a one-on-one
retirement appointment with your retirement analyst.
- Notify your Supervisor that you are planning to retire or enter DROP.
4. Submit All Completed Retirement Forms:
- Return your completed retirement forms in person or return them via mail.
We recommend that you submit the forms during our walk-in hours,
Monday through Friday from 11:00am-2:00pm. During those hours,
our staff can review the forms and verify that your application can
be processed without delay.
- Normal and Early retirement forms should be submitted at least thirty days
- DROP Entry application forms must be submitted at least sixty days
in advance. DROP Application Schedule
5. 45 - 60 Days after retirement:
- First Payment Letter and Final Calculation Worksheet will be mailed to you
within this timeframe.
- All monthly retirement payments will be sent by direct deposit to your financial
institution on the last business day of each month.
Walk-in hours: 11:00am to 2:00pm – Limited services are available during walk-in hours.
Estimates are NOT given during walk-in hours