Historic Records Center

CONTACT INFORMATION: Our office is open 8AM-4PM M-F
4000 Chain Bridge Road, Suite 1600
Fairfax, Virginia 22030
Christopher J. Falcon
Clerk of the Court


To sign up for updates or to access your subscriber preferences, please enter your contact information below.

Fairfax Alerts

DD-214 Discharge Papers

Search Historic Records Center

DD-214 Discharge Papers 

Per §17.1-265 of the Virginia Code, the Clerk of the Circuit Court of the county or city wherein a person discharged from the armed forces of the United States resides shall record, upon presentation, free of charge, the original or a properly authenticated copy of either the discharge certificate or the report of separation from active duty (Department of Defense Document DD-214), or both.

The Historic Records Center is custodian of these records under the Fairfax Circuit Court.

Access to DD-214s 

Discharge papers are subject to access restrictions.

Due to the confidential nature of discharge papers and reports of separation, access is granted to the following persons only (§17.1-265 of the Virginia Code):

  1. The subject of the record;
  2. The duly qualified guardian or conservator of the subject of the record;
  3. The duly qualified executor or administrator of the estate of the subject of the record, if deceased, or, in the event no executor or administrator has qualified, the next of kin of the deceased subject;
  4. An attorney, attorney-in-fact, or other agent or representative of any of the persons described in subdivision 1, 2 or 3, acting pursuant to a written power of attorney or other written authorization; or
  5. A duly authorized representative of an agency or instrumentality of federal, state, or local government seeking the record in the ordinary course of performing its official duties.


Exceptions can be made to the above provisions; for more information, please review §17.1-265 of the Virginia Code.

Obtaining copies of DD-214s

To inquire whether the Historic Records Center holds a copy of your or a next-of-kin’s discharge papers, please call 703-246-4168 or email CCRHistoricRecords@fairfaxcounty.gov. The subject’s full name is required to search our records.

Both certified and non-certified copies of DD-214s can be made upon request.

For additional information regarding copies please visit the copies information page.

What if the Historic Records Center does not have my DD-214? The National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) is the federal government’s repository for discharge papers (DD-214s) and reports of separation. You may request your DD-214 through a number of formats.

Click here for instructions for obtaining your discharge papers from NARA.

Information you may be interested in ...

In order to view PDF files, you must have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on your computer

Fairfax Virtual Assistant