Division of Environmental Health

Fairfax County, Virginia

CONTACT INFORMATION: Our Environmental Health Services office at 10777 Main Street in Fairfax is open during regular business hours 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., Monday - Friday. Clinic services are not offered at this location.

TTY 711

10777 Main Street
Fairfax, VA 22030

Pieter A. Sheehan, REHS,
Director, Division of Environmental Health

Health Permits for Food Establishments: Change of Ownership

When there is a change of ownership of an existing food establishment, the new owner must obtain a new Permit to Operate a Food Establishment before taking ownership. Permits to Operate a Food Establishment cannot transfer from one owner to another.

More food permitting topics: New Food Establishments | Annual Renewals | Temporary Events | Mobile Food Service Units

Apply for a New Permit

New owners must submit the following documents to the Health Department to apply for a new permit:

  • To apply for Food Establishment, Mobile Food Unit, and Change of Ownership Applications, please go to the PLUS Citizen Portal page and complete the application. 
  • Copy of the Temporary Business Professional and Occupational License (BPOL) Certificate (proof that the customer has applied for BPOL).
  • Copy of new menu with consumer advisory, if applicable.
  • Provide a list of all equipment to be replaced or added.
  • Application fee: $80 (Cash, check, or call to pay by MasterCard or Visa.)
  • Submit application in person or by mail, fax or email:
    • Mail: Fairfax County Health Department
      Division of Environmental Health
      Consumer Protection Program
      10777 Main Street, Suite 111
      Fairfax, VA 22030
    • Fax: 703-653-9448
    • Email: hdehd@fairfaxcounty.gov
Fairfax Virtual Assistant