The Fairfax County Health Department inspects hundreds of public and community pool facilities annually and issues Water Recreational Facilities Permits (pool permits).
- Water Recreational Facility Fee Schedule by Jurisdiction (Fairfax County, Fairfax City, City of Falls Church).
How to Renew a Pool Permit Online
Before proceeding with the online application for pool permit renewal:
- Renewing a pool permit online requires online payment by e-check or credit card. (2.5% convenience fee or $1 minimum for credit card transactions.)
- If the pool facility has (1) a change of owner name or address or (2) a change of facility name or address, you cannot complete an online renewal. Instead, please call 703-246-2201, TTY 711.
- Before proceeding with the online pool permit application, you will need the following information:
- Invoice number and permit number (printed on your renewal invoice).
- Pool management company information (name, address, phone, email).
- Pool Facility Owner's name, address, phone number to verify correct information.
- Certified Pool Operator information including cell phone number.
- Details about pool facility, such as name of facility and operation hours.
- Original copy of Electrical Inspection Report and Certification. (The Health Department cannot issue a Water Recreation Facilities Permit until after an Electrical Inspection Report and Certification for each individual pool/water feature has been submitted to the Health Department.)
- Verification that all items on the pre-opening checklist have been completed.
How to Renew or Apply for a Pool Permit or Update a Change of Ownership/Facility Address in Person, by Fax or by Email
Pool owners and management companies cannot apply for a Water Recreational Facilities Permit for a new facility or renew a permit for a facility that has a new owner or address without first obtaining a Business, Professional and Occupational License (BPOL) from the Fairfax County Department of Tax Administration. Please call 703-246-2201, TTY 711 for more information about beginning the pool permit application process.
- Download, fill out and print an application:
- Submit an original copy of Electrical Inspection Report and Certification. (The Health Department cannot issue a Water Recreation Facilities Permit until after an Electrical Inspection Report and Certification for each individual pool/water feature has been submitted to the Health Department.)
- Submit the application in one of the following ways:
- In person at the Health Department Administration and Environmental Health Services building located at 10777 Main Street, Suite 102, Fairfax, VA 22030.
- Fax: 703-653-9448.
- Email: email@example.com.