Heart disease is the leading cause of death in the United States – but it doesn’t have to be. Each February, the National Institutes for Health celebrates American Heart Month by providing tips to prevent heart disease. This year, Fairfax County Senior Centers are joining this national initiative to help residents 50 and over make choices that will improve heart health.
Join Us for "Heart Healthy” Events All Month Long
Bailey’s Senior Center (Falls Church)
- Healthy Snacks and Nutrition Class – Monday, February 10 and Monday, February 24 at 12:30 p.m.
- Presentation by Dr. Zang, Internal Pain Management Specialist, INOVA – Thursday, February 6 at 10:30 am
- Stroke Prevention and Education Program by INOVA Fairfax – Wednesday, February 19 at 12:45 p.m. (offered again in Mandarin on Thursday, February 20 at 12:45 p.m.)
Kingstowne Center for Active Adults (Alexandria)
- Healthy Hearts Aerobics Class – Every Tuesday and Thursday at 9:10 am
Lewinsville Senior Center (McLean)
- Heart Healthy Snack Social – Friday, February 7 at 10:30 a.m. (wear red for heart health!)
Lincolnia Senior Center (Alexandria)
- Heart Disease Prevention Program by INOVA Fairfax – Friday, February 28 at 10:15 a.m. (held during the Senior Citizens Council meeting; open to the public, but must sign up in advance at the center)
Little River Glen Senior Center (Fairfax)
- Cook for Your Heart! – Friday, February 7 and Friday, February 21 at 10:15 a.m. (pre-registration required)
- Blood Pressure Screening – Tuesday, February 11 at 10 a.m.
Providence Senior Center (Fairfax)
- Cooking Demo by Maria, Area Agency on Aging – Thursday, February 20 at 10:45 a.m.
South County Senior Center (Alexandria)
- Blood Pressure Check – Every Thursday at 10 a.m. (not a medical evaluation)
Sully Senior Center (Chantilly)
- Heart-Healthy Smoothies – Every Tuesday at 10:30 a.m.
Are You a Senior Center Member?
All events require Senior Center membership (unless noted as open to the public). Registered members of Fairfax County Senior Centers enjoy an array of social and recreational activities including fitness, art, technology, special interest and many more. All Senior Centers offer a weekday lunchtime meal and transportation options.
Senior Center membership fees for Fairfax County residents range from $24 to $48 annually based on household income. Non-county residents may purchase memberships for $100 per year.