Fairfax County Health Department permits and inspects certain public establishments and oversees installation, maintenance and monitoring of private wells and septic systems:
- Private Wells and Septic Systems
- Religiously Exempt Child Care
- Swimming Pools
- Tourist (Hotels, Bed and Breakfasts, Campgrounds, Summer Camps)
Massage Establishment and Massage Therapist Licenses
Massage establishments are licensed by the Fairfax County Department of Cable and Consumer Services. Please contact that department for information about permitting.
Applications and Forms
The forms provided on this page are in Portable Document Format (PDF). To view or print them, you will need to download and install Adobe Acrobat Reader.
If you do not find the application or form you are looking for on this page or are experiencing difficulty accessing it, please contact our Customer Service Center via email at email@example.com or call 703-246-2201.
See fee schedules.
Onsite Well and Septic
- Permit Application for Onsite Sewage Disposal System and Well
- Application for an Evaluation of Existing Well Water and/or Sewage Disposal Systems
- Application for Registration of Individual Well Water System Contractor
- Application for Registration of Individual Sewage Disposal Contractor
- Application for Registration of Sewage Handling Contractor
- Application for Registration of Portable Toilet Facilities
- Request for a Routine Water Sample
Religiously Exempt Child Care Facilities
- Swimming Pool Codes and Permits
- Requirements for Proposed Public Swimming Pool Facility: Bathhouse Pool Plans Only | Pool Plans Only
The Health Department does not issue permits for or inspect private residential pools, spas and hot tubs. Please visit Land Development Services' Building Permits page for more information about permits for residential pools.
Apply for a Health Permit
Apply by Mail/In Person/Email/Fax
- Mail or deliver your application in-person to our office at:
Fairfax County Health Department
Division of Environmental Health
10777 Main Street, Suite 100
Fairfax, VA 22030
- Send your application by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Fax your application to 703-653-9448.
Religiously exempt child care facilities may apply for a permit online.
Forms of Payment Accepted
We accept cash, checks, Visa, Master Card, and Discover. Please call our Customer Service Center at 703-246-2201 to make the payment by credit card.
Renew Your Health Permit
You must get an annual operational permit from the Health Department before opening a public facility for use or to continue operations.
The following establishments can renew a health permit online:
- Public Swimming Pools (year-round permits expires on Dec. 31).
- Religiously Exempt Child Care (permits expire on Sep. 30).
If you have misplaced your renewal application or have not received it in the mail, you may request it via email at email@example.com or call our Customer Service Center at 703-246-2201.