Fairfax County Health Department works with owners and operators of food establishments in Fairfax County and the Cities of Falls Church and Fairfax City to ensure food safety throughout the community.
The Health Department reviews food establishment plans and conducts pre-operational inspections; inspects more than 3,300 permitted food establishments, including restaurants, public schools, day care centers and hospital kitchens; inspects and permits temporary food establishments at events such as fairs and festivals; responds to citizen complaints and inquiries; investigates foodborne illness outbreaks to determine the source and to minimize the spread of disease; provides food safety information; and holds food safety workshops.
New Application for Food Establishment Permits
Fairfax County Health Department is pleased to announce the launch of a new application for the Permit to Operate a Food Establishment. This application will improve the permitting process and help to eliminate construction plan rejections. The application will be in place starting January 1, 2018.
Here are some highlights of the new application:
- Improves the predictability and efficiency of getting a restaurant open.
- Guides users through the steps needed for permit approval.
- Provides a checklist of physical facility and equipment requirements with code references.
- Can be used by the Health Department to identify areas in the permitting process that need to be improved.
If you have any questions, please call 703-246-2444.
- New Food Establishments
- Change of Ownership
- Annual Renewals
- Temporary Events
- Mobile Food Service Units