Fairfax County Youth Sports Scholarship Program
The Fairfax County Neighborhood and Community Services (NCS) provides registration fee scholarships and equipment vouchers to eligible youth participating in sports programs in Fairfax County. Thes scholarships and vouchers provide assistance to youth from low income families who are not currently being served by existing scholarship or fee waiver programs to participate in youth sports leagues offered throughout the county.
Applicants may request the following two forms of assistance:
- Registration Fee Waiver: Documentation allowing a portion or all of the athlete's league fees to be waived for the season due to economic hardship. Applicants may request assistance for one sport per season per athlete.
- Equipment Voucher: Funding provided to purchase seasonal athletic equipment or apparel. Equipment vouchers may be requested only during the Spring and Fall athletic seasons. Applicants may only receive one voucher per year.
To be eligible for a scholarship, athletes must qualify for or be currently receiving assistance from one or more of the programs listed below (verification will be required - see below):
- Free or Reduced School Lunch
- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families
- Aid for Dependent Children
- Foster Care
Athletes must also meet each of the criteria listed below:
- Live in Fairfax County or the City of Fairfax
- Be enrolled in school (K-12th grade)
- Commit to attend a minimum of 80% of scheduled practices and games
- Not be currently served by an existing schilarship or fee waiver program
Priority may be given to eligible youth recommended by a Department of Family Services or Fairfax County Public Schools social worker or a NCS program director. Priority may also be given to youth involved with services provided under the Virginia Comprehensive Services Act or other Fairfax County human services initiative.
Applications must be submitted by sports organizations. Parents
should complete the application in its entirety and submit it
to their child’s sports organization. A list of sports
organizations serving Fairfax County is available online.
Ensure that the application has been signed by the child's
parent or guardian and all supporting documents signifying the
child is receiving aid are attached (see list below).
If such documents are not available, a school employee,
social worker, or case worker must complete the sign the bottom
portion of the application form to verify eligibility.
Assistance Program Acceptable Verifying Documentation Aid for Dependent Children Eligibility notification letter or Scholarship form signed by school employee, social worker, or case worker Foster Care
Social Worker Verification Free and Reduced Price Lunches Eligibility notification letter or Scholarship form signed by school employee, social worker, or case worker Medicaid Copy of medicaid form, copy of medical assistance services card, Social services Notice of Action on benefits form Temporary Assistance for Needy Families Eligibility notification letter or Scholarship form signed by school employee, social worker, or case worker
Parents or guardians should contact their selected sports
organization to confirm their due date for application
submission. All sports organizations must collect, prepare and
submit all applications to NCS by the following deadlines:
a. Spring Season: May 1
b. Summer/Fall Seasons: November 1
c. Winter Season: February 1
For more information on the Fairfax County Youth Sports Scholarship Program, e-mail the Athletic Services Unit in the Fairfax County Department of Neighborhood and Community Services at AthleticServices@fairfaxcounty.gov , or call 703-324-5533, TTY 711.