On November 17, 2015, the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors adopted a new Noise Ordinance to better address the methodology used in noise measurements, consider the appropriateness of establishing daytime and nighttime noise levels to protect the community, and to add other objective criteria to regulate noise within Fairfax County.
The overall goal of the new Noise Ordinance is to:
- Recognize that there will always be certain levels of noise that occur in the normal course of daily living;
- Allow certain levels of daytime noise so that people can live, work, and play during the day; and
- Minimize nighttime noise so residents have an appropriate quiet environment in their homes at night.
The overall framework of the new Noise Ordinance is to:
- Prohibit certain activities (prohibitions);
- Exclude certain activities from the Noise Ordinance (exceptions); and
- When not specifically prohibited or excepted, then activities or sources of sound would be subject to maximum decibel levels.