The Department of Planning and Zoning, Zoning Inspections Branch (ZIB), among other duties, accepts and reviews sign permit applications for compliance with the sign regulations of the Fairfax County Zoning Ordinance Article 12 and Chapter 10 of the Code of the County of Fairfax and issues sign permits for the installation of signs to be installed on private property located in Fairfax County.
The ZIB also reviews sign permit applications and issues sign permits for proposed uses subject to:
- Development Conditions of Special Exception and or Proffers of Rezoning Applications approved by the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors (BOS);
- Conditions, designs, limitations, etc. detailed in Comprehensive Sign Plans (CSP) approved by the Fairfax County Planning Commission (PC);
- Resolutions of Special Permits approved by the Fairfax County Board of Zoning Appeals (BZA); and
- Resolutions approved by the Fairfax County Architectural Review Board (ARB).
A separate sign permit application is required to be submitted and approved for each proposed sign prior to installation. The current fee for a sign permit is $95 payable at the time of submission. Sign permit applications are NOT ACCEPTED when forwarded by mail, e-mail, carrier, etc. These permit applications and all other submission requirements must be submitted IN-PERSON to the Zoning Inspections Branch at Suite 829 of the Herrity Building for review.
- Sign and Building Permit Application
- Permit Review Process for Installing Signs on Private Property
- Examples of How to Calculate the Area of a Building Mounted Sign
- Sign Topics by Zoning Provision
- How to Determine Your Zoning District and the Sign Area for the Zoning District
- Sign Permit Guidelines for Places of Worship
Questions about signs placed in the right-of way should be directed to the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT). A Waiver of Certain Sign Regulations, pursuant to Sect. 9-620 of the Zoning Ordinance, is an alternative for those interested in seeking approval of proposed signs that exceed area and height limitations. This Special Exception application process is only available for properties located in the commercial or industrial Districts.
How to make a complaint about signs on private property or along public roadways (Department of Code Compliance)