Board of Supervisors - Chairman

CONTACT INFORMATION: Office open weekdays 8:30am - 5pm
703-324-2321 TTY 711
12000 Government Center Parkway, Suite 530
Fairfax, VA 22035
Jeffrey C. McKay


Fairfax County and Virginia has adjusted its services in response to COVID-19. See below for updates and resources.

Operating Statuses/Closures within the County

  • Fairfax County Government is open and operating on a normal schedule. However, some programs and locations may be impacted for various reasons. See the full operating status of County buildings here.

  • The County Government remains open for business via online, phone, and by mail. A full list of services that can be done online and by phone is here.

  • A link to the general FCPS website can be found here: FCPS
  • FCPS Board meeting and contact information can be found: here
  • Elementary and Secondary School Emergency Relief (ESSER) III: Plan for Safe Return

  • Starting April 14, 2022, students will have unlimited access to 24/7, on-demand, online tutoring support services through at no cost to families. Students can connect online any time, any place, and in most K-12 subjects for however long they need. Tutoring may be on-demand and/or scheduled at a time convenient for the student and/or family. More information can be found: here

  • Information on school calendars and event can be found: here 

  • Animal Shelter service and program updates along with contact information may be found on their website.

  • Considering adding a new pet to your family? Great! For full details on the adoption process, read the 'Steps to Adopt'

  • The Park Authority has reopened all 427 parks

    • Visitors will be asked to adhere to physical distancing and small group guidelines (do not exceed ten people).

    • All indoor facilities and restrooms remain closed.

    • Some campgrounds, batting cages, and fields are open. Read more

  • The Park Authority will not open outdoor water parks and pools this summer. This includes the Water Mine in Reston, Our Special Harbor Spray Ground at Lee District Family Recreation, and Martin Luther King Jr. pool.

  • County farmers markets and golf courses have begun a phased reopening.

  • To view the latest on the reopening of Virginia plan view the Governor's webpage and how it applies to Fairfax County view the County's reopening webpage.

  • Effective May 29, face coverings are required when entering, exiting, traveling through, and spending time inside the settings recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

    • Exceptions include:

      • Eating or drinking at a restaurant

      • Exercising

      • A health condition that prohibits a face covering

      • Under the age of 10; strongly recommend children over 3 years old wear one

    • The Virginia Department of Health (VDH) and its local health districts will take an educational approach by advising the public and businesses of the requirement to wear face coverings.

    • Do not direct citizens to call law enforcement or local health department to address alleged violations 

    • Questions or concerns about the Executive Order 63 should be directed to: 1-877-ASK-VDH3

      • An FAQ can be found here.

Health Care

Health care for Virginia Medicaid members:

  • Can find information on what Medicaid members can expect here.

  • Here is a Virginia Medicaid fact sheet. 

Health care for the uninsured 

  • Fairfax County has compiled a list of health care providers that offer primary care, dental care, behavioral health, and pharmacies, for those with no insurance or Medicaid.

  • Inova Urgent Care (UCC) locations at Dulles South, North Arlington, Tysons, and Old Town Alexandria are staffing Respiratory Illness Clinics to evaluate all patients with respiratory illness symptoms. 

  • The three clinics are also collecting samples for COVID-19 testing via physician ordered vehicle-side appointments. 

  • Before visiting any Inova Respiratory Illness Clinic, take the following steps:

    • Contact your regular physician for evaluation. For assistance with recommendations, to arrange for a physician appointment, or if you do not have a primary care physician, call 1-855-IMG-DOCS.

    • Your regular physician can evaluate your symptoms to determine if testing is needed based on COVID-19 testing criteria and provide a testing order, or refer you to the Inova Respiratory Illness Clinic for evaluation.

    • Upon arrival at the Inova Respiratory Illness Clinic, a clinician will greet the patient at their vehicle to collect samples for a physician-ordered test, or escort the patient into the respiratory clinic for evaluation.

    • For patients who undergo COVID-19 testing, a UCC nurse will contact those whose results are negative. For patients with positive results, a UCC nurse will coordinate with the patient’s regular physician for notification and further instructions. Patients who are tested can expect results in roughly 4-7 days.

  • Read more on Inova's response to COVID-19 here.

  • The Heath Department is working with the Institute for Public Health Innovation to hire and train 400 contact tracers.

  • While not directly hired by the County, they are supported by the County.

  • Contract tracing is vital to our efforts to reduce and ultimately eliminate COVID-19.

  • Information on available opportunities and how to apply can be found here.

  • The Fairfax County Health Department does not evaluate patients or collect specimens for commercial testing. The County helps to facilitate testing.

  • The majority of COVID-19 testing is limited to those who are showing symptoms. If you have symptoms, we encourage you to see a health care provider and learn more here.

  • If you can't afford testing, Fairfax County has compiled a list of options.

  • Governor Northam launched an online risk-assessment tool for Virginians to check their symptoms and connect with health care resources.

Services and Resources

  • FCPS has a number of food distribution sites across the County. Times and locations are subject to change.

  • Fairfax County's Meals on Wheels program is now delivering meals once-a-week. New clients are being accepted. Call the County's Coordinated Services Planning to apply.

    • Call: 703-222-0880, TTY 771

    • Monday-Friday, 8 am - 4:30 pm

  • The Catholic Charities Diocese of Arlington has food distribution programs.

  • Community-based resources for food assistance can be found if you scroll to the bottom of this website.

  • Coordinated Services Planning provides access and referrals to both government and community-based resources for assistance with, but not limited to: food, shelter, employment, financial assistance, and healthcare.

    • Call: 703-222-0880, TTY 711

    • Monday-Friday, 8 am - 4:30 pm

  • If you or someone you know is experiencing abuse, please call the County's 24-Hour Domestic Violence Hotline.

    • Call: 703-360-7273.

  • For questions on resources and information you can call the Domestic Violence Action Center.

    • Call: 703-246-4573.

  • You are the best judge if you feel safe at home, but the Department of Family Services has ideas on how to keep yourself safe. Read here.

  • The Domestic and Sexual Violence Services website has more resources including counseling and shelters.

  • The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline offers support for those experiencing a suicide crisis or emotional distress: 1-800-273-8255.

  • The Fairfax-Falls Church Community Services Board offers a number of mental health services:

    • A suicide prevention text line in Fairfax: text "CONNECT" to 855-11 and a volunteer will respond within minutes. You can also call 703-527-4077, 24/7.

    • If it is not an emergency situation, but you are in need of mental health services, call Entry & Referral Services Monday - Friday,   9 am - 5 pm, at 703-383-8500, TTY 711. Staff can take calls in English and Spanish and can access interpreters for other languages.

    • Telehealth services for therapy, counseling, case management, and prescribing are also available. Contact CSB for services.

  • The Fairfax County Spiritual Support Team is offering spiritual support for adults age 60 and over. Read more.

    • Call: 703-324-5185, M-F, 10 am - 6 pm

  • The Catholic Charities Diocese of Arlington offers mental health services to children, adolescents, and adults. Fees are on a sliding scale based on income and the number of dependents. Call (in English and Spanish): 703-447-9402.

  • The Virginia Association of Community-Based Providers is an association of private sector organizations that provide behavioral health treatment to Virginia's most vulnerable populations. They have provided a list by location of providers who offer treatment to Medicaid members and others. 

  • The Recovery Program Solutions of Virginia (RPSV) is supporting individuals with mental health, substance abuse, and homelessness issues.

    • They have free online support classes Monday-Friday starting at 10:30am. Learn more here.

    • RPSV is also offering phone support for anyone in the community who needs someone to talk to.

      • The phone line is available: Monday through Thursday, 4 pm–11 pm, (703) 817-6124.

  • The team at ARTSFAIRFAX is providing information and resources that directly benefit individual artists and arts organizations.

  • Learn more. 

  • If you are in need of financial counseling, the Financial Empowerment Center is supported by Fairfax County.

  • Information on SNAP and unemployment in Virginia can be found here. Fairfax County is offering help for those who need to apply for resources like SNAP and Medicaid. Learn more.

  • Coordinated Services Planning provides access and referrals to both government and community-based resources for assistance with, but not limited to: food, shelter, employment, financial assistance, and healthcare.

    • Call: 703-222-0880, TTY 711

    • Monday-Friday, 8 am - 4:30 pm

  • For assistance with rent (or utilities and food), please call Fairfax County Coordinated Services Planning at 703-222-0880.

  • Find out if you are covered by the Federal Eviction Moratorium or other protections.

  • Search the ProPublica database to see if your residence is covered.

  • Stay Home Virginia, provides resources for renters, homeowners, landlords, and the homeless.

  • For more housing resources and information, visit Stay Home Virginia

  • For FCRHA residents: If you are experiencing difficulties in meeting monthly rent payment, you should contact your assigned housing specialist.

  • Your rights as a tenant during the outbreak can be found here.

    • Virginia Poverty Law Center: Call the Eviction Helpline, 833-NOEVICT (833-663-8428) in English and Spanish.

    • Legal Services of Northern Virginia: Call 703-778-6800 from 9:30am-12:30pm and from 1:30-3:30pm, Monday-Thursday.

    • Virginia Legal Aid offers:

      • Contact your local legal aid by calling 1-866-LEGL-AID

      • Legal advice from the Eviction Legal Helpline by calling 1-833-NoEvict


  • Legal Services of Northern Virginia is providing free legal counsel to low-income, elderly, and disabled individuals and families. 

    • Some areas they are working on: unemployment claims, housing evictions and foreclosures, and protective orders. 

    • Call: 703-778-6800; Monday - Thursday; 9:30 am - 12:30 pm & 1:30 pm - 3:30 pm

  • Contact your local legal aid by calling 1-866-LEGL-AID

  • Legal advice from the Eviction Legal Helpline by calling 1-833-NoEvict

  • Visit for more information. 

  • Legal Aid Justice Center provides legal advice and representation to immigrant tenants facing landlord-tenant problems such as unpaid rent, eviction, unlivable housing conditions, landlord harassment, lockouts or utility shutoffs, and debt collection by current or former landlords. Attorneys speak English and Spanish, and all other languages are available through Language Line. Please call 703-778-3450 and leave a message, which will be returned within one business day.

  • Start by calling 703-222-0880, TTY 711, our Coordinated Services Planning (CSP) social work call center. CSP will make all the arrangements to get you the help you need through our network of community and County service providers.

  • County staff does not ask questions around a person’s immigration status, unless you are seeking a type of assistance, such as Medicaid, where there is a legal or regulatory requirement for us to ask about this.

  • We keep your information confidential, including any documents you submit to us. We do not share this information outside of CSP, unless you have given CSP authorization with other Fairfax agencies and not with the state or federal government.

  • Immigration status excludes some from certain types of federal government assistance designed to address the impacts of COVID-19, such as expanded unemployment benefits and tax benefits. Acknowledging this, Fairfax County and our nonprofit partners are committed to providing basic needs assistance regardless of immigration status.

  • Read more.

  • See other information for immigrants here.

  • The Health Department's Neighbor to Neighbor Program has a grocery and pharmacy pick-up service for County residents age 60 and over.

    • To request a pick-up, call: 703-324-7948

  • See other County services that are available here.

  • The Shepherd’s Center has a face-to-face medical and companion transportation service.

    • The Center serves parts of Fairfax.

    • The agency requires notice of four business days before an appointment date. 

    • Call 703-281-0538 to schedule a ride or to request a new client application. They are open M-F, 10am–4pm. 

    • The Center will continue to offer their Food Delivery Drivers service for grocery shopping and delivery to the front door.

  • Coordinated Services Planning provides access and referrals to both government and community-based resources for assistance with, but not limited to: food, shelter, employment, financial assistance, and healthcare.

    • Call: 703-222-0880, TTY 711

    • Monday-Friday, 8 am - 4:30 pm

  • The Department of Family Services has launched a Parent Support Line.

    • Call: 703-324-7720, M-F, 8 am - 4:30 pm.

    • Email:

  • Fairfax County Health Department's Neighbor to Neighbor Program has launched a grocery shopping and pharmacy pick-up service for County residents age 60 and over.

    • To request shopping and pharmacy pick-up call: 703-324-7948

  • Fairfax County is offering help for those who need to apply for resources like SNAP and Medicaid. Learn more


Affected Employees and Employers

  • The Virginia Employment Commission manages unemployment insurance. Applications and more information can be found on their website.

    • The VEC has waived the one-week waiting period to ensure workers can receive unemployment benefits as soon as possible.

    • They recommend that everyone apply if you think you could be eligible because federal rules on eligibility change. Also, be sure to apply every week you are unemployed.

  • Employers who slow or cease operations will not be financially penalized for an increase in workers requesting unemployment benefits.

  • Fairfax County has a page that includes information for employers and employees. Fairfax County is offering help for those who need to apply for resources like SNAP and Medicaid. Learn more.

  • For small businesses in need of relief, we have created a web page that is being updated as more information comes.

    • There are resources on taxes and policy changes, loans (including those through the Small Business Administration), grants, counseling, Governor Northam's order on essential businesses, and other guidance.

  • You can continue to support small businesses in a number of ways. For example: ordering take-out, maintaining your membership for small gyms and fitness studios, or declining refunded tickets for art performances run by non-profits.

  • Employees or their representatives have the right to file a complaint with the Virginia Occupational Safety and Health office requesting an inspection, if they believe unsafe or unhealthy conditions exist in their workplace.

  • VOSH will withhold, on request, names of employees filing complaints.

  • A list of VOSH offices are here or you may file a complaint online with the US Department of Labor.

How you can help

There is a national shortage of blood donations and health individuals are asked to donate.


  • The Fairfax County Neighbor-to-Neighbor program helps organize volunteer opportunities. Find out how your neighborhood community, HOA, or civic association can get involved:

    • Email

    • Call 703-246-8962, TTY 711 

  • The Catholic Charities Diocese of Arlington needs volunteers - both in person AND virtually - to assist them with their many projects in food assistance, health, education, and housing.

  • Governor Northam has asked that healthcare professionals 18 or older, both current and previously licensed, and medical students, apply to volunteer with the Virginia Medical Reserve Corps.

  • NV Rides, a collaborative of community-based volunteer driver programs, needs volunteers to drive vulnerable seniors.

    • All drivers and riders are asked to wear masks and observe physical distancing protocols. 

  • Grow a Row FC is seeking volunteers to join its community-wide effort to grow fresh produce for Food for Others and its food pantry partners.

Residents, businesses, and organizations who want to help fill community needs can make donations to local organizations - both items and monetary contributions. An updated list of community-based resources for food assistance and donations can be found at: 

  • Volunteer Fairfax and Health and Human Services both maintain searches with organizations that need donations and volunteers.

  • FCPS's list of community-based resources. You can also make monetary contributions and grocery store gift card donations to community-based partners.

  • The Foundation for FCPS is supporting their good distribution efforts and technology needs for students.

  • The Community Foundation has created a fund that will go to a variety of nonprofits in this region helping our community.

  • Catholic Charities Diocese of Arlington requests financial assistance or materials to cover their number of projects in food assistance, health, housing, immigration, and education.

  • The Northern Virginia Community College has created the NOVA COVID-19 Emergency Grant Fund through the NOVA Foundation to provide $500 grants to students struggling with the personal and economic fall-out from the coronavirus pandemic.

  • George Mason University's Student Emergency Assistance Fund is helping students who need financial support towards their education.

  • Inova is in need of personal protective equipment, monetary support, and more. Learn more here.

  • Fairfax County Health Department is accepting donations of personal protective equipment.

  • HealthWorks for Northern Virginia is a nonprofit community health center serving low income, uninsured people without access to health care services. They are even providing screening and testing for COVID-19. 

    • HealthWorks is looking for donations of: surgical or N95 masks (any size), face shields/goggles, gowns, disposable gloves, hand sanitizer, and sanitizing wipes. 

    • Financial contributions can be made here.

    • In-kind donations can be arranged by contacting Lisa Knapp at (703) 840-4688, 

  • Local media need support to pay their staff. Donate to the Falls Church News Press here and Inside Nova here.

  • Langley Residential Support Services, empowers adults with developmental disabilities to be more self-sufficient. They need help to continue to support their 55 clients. Learn more and support their work here.

  • Fairfax at Home details all the ways you can support and enjoy Fairfax County from your home. It includes virtual tours, how to support local businesses, and wellness options. 

  • Here is a restaurant list for some take out and delivery options. Similarly, you can also follow the Fairfax County Take Out Trail.

Fairfax Virtual Assistant