A variance is a request to vary certain requirements of the Zoning Ordinance where, due to special conditions of the property, strict enforcement of the Ordinance would, among other standards, effectively prohibit or unreasonably restrict all reasonable use of the property.
Fairfax County's variance process takes approximately 90 days from the time an application is filed to the time of the Board of Zoning Appeals Public Hearing.
- Application is filed electronically through the PLUS application portal by the applicant.
- Application submissions are reviewed. When all zoning ordinance submission requirements are met, applications are accepted (start of the 90-day process)
- Application is scheduled for Board of Zoning Appeals public hearing, assigned to a staff coordinator, and distributed to various county agencies.
- Pre-staffing of application. Applicant contacted by staff about initial staff comments.
- Revisions relating to pre-staffing comments are submitted.
- Staffing of application. Applicant will be contacted by staff about final staff comments.
- Revisions relating to the staffing comments are submitted.
- Notification to adjacent property owners (sent to applicant 40 days prior to public hearing, notices mailed by applicant postmarked at least 15 days prior to hearing). Instructions for Preparing Legal Notices for Board of Zoning Appeals Public Hearings.
- Staff report published (one week prior to public hearing).
- Board of Zoning Appeals public hearing.