General Policies & Procedures
The procedures listed here are common to the operation of all divisions of the Court.
- Attorney of Record Policy
- Email and Fax Policy
- Foreign Counsel
- Inmate Hearing Procedure
- Payment Plans for Court Fines and Costs
- Note: As of July 1, 2019, the DMV is no longer suspending driver's licenses for failure to pay. Entering a payment plan still prevents an unpaid balance from accruing interest and/or being sent to collections.
- Records Retention Policy
- Remote Hearing Policy
Civil and Small Claims Case Procedures
The procedures below generally apply to both Civil and Small Claims cases. In some instances, the policy differs slightly depending on the type of case - each page will list those differences where needed.
Please note the following procedures:
- Filing a Civil Action - The "Before you File" section details the procedure to reserve a court date and time that must be followed.
- Governor's Budget Amendment HB7001 Eviction Moratorium - Unlawful Detainer & Writs of Eviction Procedures
- Protective Orders - The Court is currently accepting Protective Order Petitions via email.
- Statement in Lieu of Notarization
The rest of the Court's Civil procedures follow:
- Appeals - Civil Cases
- Assignment of Judgment
- Bankruptcy Dismissals
- Checking for Service Returns
- Contested Cases
- Copy Requests
- Dismissal and Non-Suit of Pending Civil Cases
- Filing a Civil Action
- Includes procedures and guidelines for filing a Civil or Small Claims action, as well as an explanation of the jurisdictions of each.
- Filing Forms and Fees
- Judgment on the Affidavit & Vacated Judgments
- Limitation on Number of Cases
- Long Trials
- Motions and Demurrers
- Protective Orders
- Requests for Attorney's Fees and Interest
- Satisfactions of Judgment
- Service of Process
- Show Cause and Capias
- Transfer of Jurisdiction
Criminal Case Procedures
Traffic Case Procedures
- Appeals - Traffic Cases
- Continuances - Traffic Cases
- Copy Requests
- Discovery Orders
- Letter to Judge/Proof of Compliance
- Missed Court Date
- Describes options available to you if you have missed your traffic court date.
- Parking Tickets
- Preliminary Hearing Continuance Policy
- Restricted Licenses - Reckless Driving/DWI Charges
- Requesting a Trial in an Accident Case
Listed below are the local forms developed by the Fairfax County General District Court. Statewide forms (DC-XXX forms) are available via the state's forms page, located here.
- Appearance of Counsel
- Bed to Bed Order
- Bond Reduction Motion Form
- Civil Motion Form
- Civil Request for Court Action
- Continuance Request Form
- Credit Card Payment Form
- Discovery Order
- Unlawful Detainer Disposition