Support your library. Join the Friends of the Burke Centre Library.
Do you value public libraries? Are you discouraged when budget issues impact library services? There is something you can do. Join with other Friends of the Burke Centre Library.
Our mission: Maintain an association of persons and organizations interested in supporting and advocating for public library services.
To become a Friend of the Burke Centre Library, please visit the branch.
What do Friends do?
Our activities include:
- Book sales—we sponsor several large used book sales (and an ongoing sale) throughout the year.
- Advocacy—we help advocate for the support of all Fairfax County Public Libraries, including adequate funding.
- Support—we contribute to the Fairfax Library Foundation and the annual Fall for the Book Festival.
- Guest speakers—we feature guest speakers throughout the year. Past speakers have included local historians, publishers, authors, and the FCPL Library Director.
We help fund:
- Additional equipment, including bookcases, book carts, special book display units for the children’s area, floor chairs for the young adult area, and storytime mats.
- Additions to the collection of the Fairfax County Public Library.
- Special events and programs for youth and adults at the Library.
- Special projects such as the Book Burrow (the outdoor story area), picnic tables, and landscaping carried out by local Eagle Scouts.
- Special occasions at the Burke Centre Library.
Thank you for your interest in donating to the Friends of the Burke Centre Library. We welcome donations in good enough condition to resell.
We accept adult and children's:
- Books: hardbacks and paperbacks, including vintage books
- CDs, DVDs, audiobooks, and vinyl records
- Magazines no more than one year old
We cannot accept: encyclopedias, Reader's Digest condensed books.
Donations can be made during library hours. Receipts for tax purposes are available. All sales of your donations support and enhance the programs of Burke Centre Library and provide funding for library materials countywide.
Who joins the Friends?
The FOBCL includes people like you. We are information seekers, listeners, readers, music and movie buffs. Our nearly 200 members are committed to supporting our community library. We encourage you to join us! Even businesses and organizations can join the FOBCL.
Our Board holds open meetings the fourth Thursday of every month at 7 p.m. in the meeting rooms at the Burke Centre Library, and we have an annual meeting and program in April.
What does it cost to join?
Dues for individuals are $5 a year. A lifetime membership is just $50. Businesses and organizations pay $25 (or $250 lifetime).
Get a copy of the membership forms at the circulation desk in the Burke Centre Library.
We look forward to meeting you!
Contact our membership director at firstname.lastname@example.org.