We Wish We Could but We Can't
Fairfax County Public Library branches cannot accept donations for the duration of the current COVID-19 health crisis. We are sorry for the inconvenience.
The Friends of the Reston Regional Library are an active group of volunteers who support the Library through ongoing and special semi-annual book sales. Through the generosity of the Friends, the Reston Regional Library has been able to: sponsor special children's programs and other cultural events, fund new service desks, needed furniture, equipment and supplies.
To become a Friend of the Reston Regional Library, please visit the Friends of the Reston Regional Library website.
FRRL has an ongoing book sale near the library entrance. FRRL also hosts multiple annual sales at the Reston Regional Library. For information on upcoming sales, please visit the Friends of the Reston Regional Library website.
The Reston Friends rely on donations to run our book sales and raise money for the library!
The normal contribution limit is 2 boxes per day.
Donations can be brought to the Library between opening time and 4pm on any day the library is open. Mondays and Tuesdays 1pm to 4pm; Wednesday through Sunday 10am to 4pm.
Please NO books with highlights, underlining, torn pages, water, mildew, animal, or smoke damage.
If you have a large collection of books you’d like to donate, please contact us directly via email at RestonFriendsPR@gmail.com
YES, PLEASE—DO DONATE
The Friends are happy to accept donations of used books in very good, saleable condition, including:
- New books, Best sellers, coffee-table
- Collectible books, Antiquarian items, prior to 1950
- Art, Architecture, History, Philosophy, Science
- Books in other languages: adult non-fiction, educational books such as dictionaries, language learning, “Berlitz”, word concepts, etc.
- Cookbooks (very recent or favorite classics)
- Recent (typically last 5 years) Educational books, Text books, Test-Prep materials (no high school or college foreign language text books, please)
- General Magazines--Prior to 1960 or < 3 months old
- Specialty Magazines--up to 12 months old (such as Architectural Digest or Saveur)
- Media—CDs, DVDs, Audio books on CD; Great Courses
- Books for Young Adults, Children, and Educators
- Good condition Puzzles or Games (all the pieces!)
NO, THANK YOU—We do NOT accept:
- VHS tapes, audio cassettes, or phonograph / vinyl records
- Self-Help/Medical books that are more than 3 years old
- Travel Books more than 3 years old
- Maps, Atlases, TripTiks, etc.
- National Geographic, Smithsonian, oversized magazines, or free/membership magazines such as AARP
- Books with WATER, MILDEW, ANIMAL, or SMOKE DAMAGE
All contributions are tax deductible to the extent allowed by law.
Best of Reston
The Friends of the Reston Regional Library were 2013 Best of Reston Award Winners.
The Friends of the Reston Regional Library support the public library in its efforts to improve its collections, services, and programs offered to area residents.
Programs and equipment made possible by the Friends of the Reston Regional Library include:
Children's Programs in the library and Reston public schools; the branch’s building-wide sound-masking system; Children's section supplies and furniture; Children's Books and Story Time at Embry Rucker Shelter; library programming such as adult education classes, the Teen Advisory Board, Lunar New Year, Diwali, Purim and other world culture programs; supplies for RRL staff; Free book coupons for early readers in Reston public schools and for summer reading program participants; ESOL Classes; ESOL materials collection; Great Discussions Series; Grounds Maintenance with Reston Garden Club; Library Holiday Open House, Library Anniversary celebration, and other community outreach events and materials, including our 2021 Book Bites project, which donated almost 2000 brand new free books to Reston area students in need.
To receive our newsletter, and notices about upcoming sales and events, you can sign up for our email list. Send an email to us at RestonFriendsPR@gmail.com.
Donations of these minimum amounts enters you onto our Membership Roll for one year and entitles you to access to our Members Night sales in Spring and Fall:
Senior (65 years and over): $5.00
General Membership: $15.00
Meetings are held quarterly (February, May, August and November). Dates, times and locations are announced to members.
In addition to individual memberships, the Reston Friends also welcome corporate donations in a variety of formats. Some area businesses provide in-kind donations of food and supplies to help keep our volunteers up and running during book sales. We list these local businesses on our website and encourage the community to patronize them. Corporate Donors can be found on the Reston Friends Sale Sponsors page.
Some businesses offer matching donations when their employees make a cash contribution to our organization. Some employers offer "free" volunteer hours to encourage their employees to become involved in the community. If you're a company interested in donating, or would like more information, please contact the Reston Friends at RestonFriendsPR@gmail.com.
Friends of Reston Regional Library website
Visit the Reston Library Friends website for more information.
CONTACT THE FRIENDS OF RESTON LIBRARY
Send an email to the Reston Friends
Call us: 703.829.5467