The Friends of the Reston Regional Library are an active group of volunteers who support the Library through ongoing and special semi-annual book sales. Through the generosity of the Friends, the Reston Regional Library has been able to: sponsor special children's programs and other cultural events, fund new service desks, needed furniture, equipment and supplies.
To become a Friend of the Reston Regional Library, please visit the Friends of the Reston Regional Library website.
FRRL has an ongoing book sale and also hosts seven sales annually at the Reston Regional Library. For information on upcoming sales, please visit the Friends of the Reston Regional Library website.
The Reston Friends rely on donations to run our book sales and raise money for the library!
The normal contribution limit is 2 boxes per day.
Donations can be brought to the Library during regular library hours, between opening time and 3pm.
We cannot accept donations when the library is closed.
If you have a large collection of books you’d like to donate, please contact us directly via email at RestonFriendsPR@gmail.com
YES, PLEASE—DO DONATE
The Friends are happy to accept donations of used books in very good, saleable condition, including:
- Art, Architecture, History, Philosophy, Science
- Books for Young Adults, Children, and Educators
- Collectible books, Antiquarian items, prior to 1950
- Cookbooks (very recent or favorite classics)
- World Language Books
- For children: Any genre, for children in preschool through 6th grade only
- For adults: Non-fiction only; educational books such as dictionaries, language learning, “Berlitz”, word concepts, etc.
- General Magazines--Prior to 1960 or < 3 months old
- Good condition Puzzles or Games (all the pieces!)
- Media—CDs, DVDs, Audio books on CD ; Great Courses
- New books, Best sellers, coffee-table
- Recent (typically last 5 years) Educational books, Text books, Test-Prep materials (no high school or college foreign language text books, please)
- Recent maps (last 5 years) or antique maps (prior to 1950)
- Specialty Magazines--up to 12 months old (such as Architectural Digest or Saveur)
NO, THANK YOU—We do NOT accept:
- NO Books with WATER, MILDEW, ANIMAL, or SMOKE DAMAGE
- NO Novels or other fiction books in languages other than English
- NO National Geographic, Smithsonian, oversized magazines, or free/membership magazines such as AARP
- NO Remainders from yard sales, rummage sales, etc.
- NO Self-Help/Medical books that are more than 3 years old
- NO Travel Books more than 3 years old
- NO VHS tapes, audio cassettes, or phonograph / vinyl records
All contributions are tax deductible to the extent allowed by law.
Best of Reston
The Friends of the Reston Regional Library were 2013 Best of Reston Award Winners.
The Friends of the Reston Regional Library support the public library in its efforts to improve its collections, services, and programs offered to area residents.
Programs and equipment made possible by the Friends of the Reston Regional Library include:
Children's Programs in the library and Reston public schools; Children's section supplies and furniture; Children's Books and Story Time at Embry Rucker Shelter; Geronimo Stilton Book Club; supplies for RRL staff; Free book coupons for early readers in Reston public schools and for summer reading program participants; Great Stories Club; Movie License; Teen Advisory Board; ESOL Classes; ESOL materials collection; Great Discussions Series; Harry Butowsky Sunday history series; Grounds Maintenance with Reston Garden Club; RRL at MakerFaire NoVA; Library Holiday Open House, Library Anniversary celebration, and other community outreach events and materials, including free books.
Senior (65 years and over): $5.00
General Membership: $15.00
Good Friend: $50.00
Best Friend: $100.00
Special Friend: $250.00
Meetings are held quarterly (February, May, August and November). Dates, times and locations are announced to members.
In addition to individual memberships, the Reston Friends also welcome corporate donations in a variety of formats. Some area businesses provide in-kind donations of food and supplies to help keep our volunteers up and running during book sales. We list these local businesses on our website and encourage the community to patronize them. Corporate Donors to the most recent Reston Friends semi-annual sale can be found on the Reston Friends Sale Sponsors page.
Some businesses offer matching donations when their employees make a cash contribution to our organization. Some employers offer "free" volunteer hours to encourage their employees to become involved in the community. If you're a company interested in donating, or would like more information, please contact the Reston Friends at RestonFriendsPR@gmail.com.
Friends Book Club
The Friends book club meets at the library on the second Thursday of the month at 7:30 p.m. All are welcome!
Friends of Reston Regional Library website
Visit the Reston Library Friends website for more information.
CONTACT THE FRIENDS OF RESTON LIBRARY
Call us: 703.829.5467