The Department of Planning and Development, Zoning Permits Branch, Sign Permits Section (ZPB/SPS), among other duties, accepts and reviews sign permit applications for compliance with the sign regulations of the Fairfax County Zoning Ordinance Article 12 and Chapter 10 of the Code of the County of Fairfax and issues sign permits for the installation of signs to be installed on private property located in Fairfax County.
The ZPB/SPS also reviews sign permit applications and issues sign permits for proposed uses subject to:
- Development Conditions of Special Exception and or Proffers of Rezoning Applications approved by the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors (BOS);
- Conditions, designs, limitations, etc. detailed in Comprehensive Sign Plans (CSP) approved by the Fairfax County Planning Commission (PC);
- Resolutions of Special Permits approved by the Fairfax County Board of Zoning Appeals (BZA); and
- Resolutions approved by the Fairfax County Architectural Review Board (ARB).
- Sign, Building, and Electrical Permit Application
- Sign Permit Review Process and Retention Schedule
- Sign Permit Application Flowchart - Building Mounted and Freestanding Signs 6 ft & below
- Sign Permit Application Flowchart - Freestanding Signs over 6 ft
- Examples of How to Calculate the Area of a Building Mounted Sign
- Examples of How to Calculate the Area of a Freestanding Sign
- How to Determine Your Zoning District
- Awnings & Canopies - Permit Application Process
- Administrative Comprehensive Sign Plan (ACSP) Application Package
- Noise Waiver Application for Construction
- Noise Waiver Application for Non-Construction Activities
Effective July 1, 2019: All Noise Waiver requests MUST be submitted using the Noise Waiver Application Form and received by our offices a MINIMUM of 14 WORKING DAYS prior to the project start date. Noise Waiver Application forms must be filled-out in its entirety, signed and submitted with all required attachments to DPDMailforZPB-SPS@FairfaxCounty.gov.
Questions about signs placed in the right-of way should be directed to the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT). A Waiver of Certain Sign Regulations, pursuant to Sect. 9-620 of the Zoning Ordinance, is an alternative for those interested in seeking approval of proposed signs that exceed area and height limitations. This Special Exception application process is only available for properties located in the commercial or industrial Districts.
Site Records Viewer - Digital versions of approved site plans dating back to the year 2000
Signs Adopted Zoning Ordinance Amendment ZO-19-479 (Adopted March 19, 2019; Effective March 20, 2019)
Sign Limitations for Motor Vehicle Fuel Price Signs (County Code Section 10.4.1.2)
How to make a complaint about signs on private property or along public roadways (Department of Code Compliance)