Your base service includes 5 special collections per fiscal year (July 1 - June 30). You must schedule special collections (brush, bulk, metal, Freon and E-waste in advance. The cut off time for next day pickups is 2:30 PM the day before your collection day. Messages left on the night time recording will be scheduled for your next collection day based on the time the message is heard.
Different trucks collect different types of materials. Each type of material must be placed out separately for collection, separated by material type.
- 12 cubic yards of material (a pile about 5 feet x 6 feet x 10 feet)
- Piles of heavy/dense materials are limited to 6 cubic yards.
- Materials must be no bigger than 6 feet long and 6 inches in diameter.
We need 20 feet of clearance on all sides of debris pile as well as above the debris pile so that we can safely collect. Do not put debris under power wires or tree branches.
Special collection piles are limited to:
- Brush/Limbs – brush means shrubs, tree limbs, under 6 inches in diameter/6 feet in length. NO LUMBER!
- Bulk Material – bulk means household items too big for the regular trash truck; no longer than 6 feet in length.
- Metal Appliances and other metal items such as stove, washer, dryer, exercise bike, etc.
- Freon – appliances containing refrigerant/coolant (refrigerator, freezer, dehumidifier, air conditioner)
- E-Waste – includes computers and computer monitors and Televisions – most devises will be disassembled and the parts recycled. Some newer devices may be repurposed for reuse by others. While the contractor does perform data destruction as part of processing materials, Fairfax county is not responsible for the security of data stored on electronic devices placed at the curb for pickup. Please do not include broken electronics as part of an E-waste pickup, they should be put out with your regular trash.
To schedule a special collection, contact the Customer Service Center at 703-802-3322, TTY 711 or Schedule Online