This newsletter includes important flood protection related information including flood safety, floodproofing, permit requirement, drainage service requests, special flood hazard areas, emergency alert systems, natural floodplain functions, and flood insurance.
If Your Property is In or Near a Floodplain
For information on floodplain locations, visit or call:
- FEMA’s Flood Map Service Center at FEMA Flood Map Service Center | Welcome!
- Fairfax County’s Digital Flood Insurance Rate Map at Digital Flood Insurance Rate Map | Public Works and Environmental Services.
- Fairfax County Stormwater Planning Division at 703-324-5500, TTY 711.
Residents are encouraged to prepare for storms and flooding:
- Sign up to receive emergency alerts at Alerts | Topics (fairfaxcounty.gov).
- Plan for your family and pets.
- Make copies of important documents.
- Prepare an emergency kit.
- Don’t drive through flood water.
Turn Around - Don’t Drown
To report storm drainage concerns or flooding, contact:
- Fairfax County Maintenance and Stormwater Management Division at 703-877-2800, TTY 711.
- Complete the form at Contact Maintenance and Stormwater Management | Public Works and Environmental Services.
- Review your homeowner’s insurance policy and/or contact your insurance agent to determine if your policy covers losses from flooding.
- For information on flood insurance visit The National Flood Insurance Program | FloodSmart.