The Department of Planning and Development contracted with Lardner/Klein Landscape Architects and Frazier Associates in 2009 to complete a Historic Structure Report for the Physician's Residence in Laurel Hill. The report provides historic background for the property, an architectural evaluation of the house, a property description and assessment, and recommendations. In September 2010, Frazier Associates prepared a Supplementary Information Report to document the removal of a deterioriated second-story sunroom. This removal was necessary to stabilize the building and was approved by the Architectural Review Board.
The Physician's Residence (also known as the Lipscomb/Environmental House) is listed as part of the D.C. Workhouse and Reformatory Historic District. The house was originally constructed as the home and office for the prison physician in 1920. The Colonial Revival style home was built using prison labor and prison-made brick, and was designed by staff in the office of the Municipal Architect for the District of Columbia, Snowden Ashford.