Public Works and Environmental Services

CONTACT INFORMATION: Our administrative office is open 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., Mon. - Fri.
703-324-5230 TTY 711
12000 Government Center Parkway
Suite 458, Fairfax, Va 22035
Eric Forbes
Director, Solid Waste Management

Household Hazardous Waste

TO REPORT ENVIRONMENTAL CRIMES: Visit Calling Non-Emergency or 911 (Department of Public Safety Communications) for instructions.


FREE disposal of household hazardous waste is available to Fairfax County residents only.

Proof of Fairfax County residency may be required. Acceptable proof is a driver's license, state ID card, property tax bill or utility bill.


Hazardous wastes from businesses are regulated separately and may not be brought to the Household Hazardous Waste Program.

Visit Commercial Hazardous Waste

Learn more about Very Small Quantity Generator program

Household Hazardous Waste Program Brochure

Hours of Operation

Residents may take their household hazardous waste to one of the permanent collection sites.

I-66 Transfer Station
Household Hazardous Waste Hours

OPEN 6 Days (Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday)
Mon. 7 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Tue. 12 p.m. - 5 p.m.
Thu. 12 p.m. - 5 p.m.
Fri. 7 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Sat. 7 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Sun. 7 a.m. - 4 p.m.

CLOSED on Wednesday

I-95 Landfill Complex
Household Hazardous Waste Hours

OPEN 2 Days (Wednesday and Saturday)
Wed. 7 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Sat. 7 a.m. - 4 p.m.

CLOSED on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, Sunday

Latex Paint ONLY Drop-off - Lot B 
Mon. - Fri. 7 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Sat. & Sun. 7 a.m. - 4 p.m.

Download Household Hazardous Waste Disposal Program Brochure

What is Household Hazardous Waste?

Household hazardous waste refers to used or leftover contents of consumer products that contain materials with one of the four characteristics of a hazardous waste: toxicity, ignitability, corrosivity or reactivity. (Visit Hazardous Waste | Virginia DEQ for more information.) Household hazardous waste should not be disposed of in the regular trash.  

The Fairfax County Household Hazardous Waste Program accepts hazardous materials from residents free of charge and disposes or recycles them according to all local, state and federal regulations.


thermostatsHousehold hazardous waste is best managed when it is collected separately from regular municipal solid waste so that it can be sent to facilities capable of properly disposing of hazardous wastes. If handled properly, the likelihood that these potentially-harmful compounds will enter the environment is significantly decreased.

The safest way to dispose of household hazardous wastes is to carefully pack them up and bring them to one of the county's Household Hazardous Waste Collection Sites at I-66 Transfer Station and I-95 Landfill complex.

Household Hazardous Waste Disposal

Materials That May be Poured Down the Household Drain

NEVER pour products down storm drains.
  • Ammonia-based Cleaners
  • Most Bathroom Cleaners
  • Diluted, Mixed Photographic Chemicals
  • Drain Cleaners

Materials That May be Disposed in Regular Trash

  • Batteries labeled Alkaline
  • Empty Containers of any kind
  • Fertilizers/Lime
  • Glue (water-based only)
  • Latex Paints (dried)
    • Let the latex paint air dry and throw container in trash. (Tip:  You may pour the paint onto newspaper. Once it dries, roll up the newspaper and dispose of it in the trash.) If you are unable to let the latex paint dry, you may take the container to one of the household hazardous waste sites at I-66 Transfer Station and I-95 Landfill Complex.
  • Permissible Fireworks/Flares (thoroughly soaked in water first)
  • Shoe Polish
  • Smoke Alarms (remove battery first)
  • Medicine - May be mixed with water, coffee grounds or kitty litter to make unusable.
  • Syringes, Needles and Other Medical Sharps:  Place in plastic container with screw-on top.  Mark the container "residential sharps."

Other Materials NOT Accepted at HHW Locations

  • Ammunition:  Call the Police Non-Emergency Number:  703-691-2131, TTY 703-877-3715.
  • Illegal Fireworks:  Contact the Fire Marshal's Office at 703-246-4849, TTY 711.
  • Propane Tanks:  Common 20 lb. barbecue-style propane tanks are accepted at the metal recycling area for a fee. Larger tanks must be returned to a local supplier.
  • Explosives:  Call the Police Non-Emergency Number:  703-691-2131, TTY 703-877-3715.
  • Radioactive Materials:  Call the Police Non-Emergency Number at  703-691-2131, TTY 703-877-3715.
  • Compressed Gas Cylinders:  Contact local supplier.

  • Keep products in their original containers. Do not mix products. Make sure lids are tightly sealed. Label materials that are not in their original containers.
  • Place leaking containers in a larger, plastic container with a tight-fitting lid.
  • Secure products upright in cardboard box so that they do not tip over in transport. Do not transport products in plastic bags.
  • Transport products in the back of a pickup truck or in a car trunk. Ensure adequate ventilation if transported in car passenger compartment.
  • Keep flammables out of direct sunlight and away from sources of heat, spark, flame or ignition. Do not smoke.

Latex Paint Video

Fairfax Virtual Assistant