Public Works and Environmental Services

Fairfax County, Virginia

CONTACT INFORMATION: Our office is open 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., Monday - Friday

TTY 711

12000 Government Center Parkway
Suite 449, Fairfax, Va 22035

Craig Carinci,
Director, Stormwater Planning

FAQs: Flooding

For life threatening flooding emergencies, dial 911.

For storm drainage emergencies during regular business hours (Monday - Friday, 7:30 a.m. - 4 p.m.), call the Maintenance & Stormwater Management Division at 703-877-2800, TTY 711 or use the Storm Drainage Flooding Report Form

For all sanitary sewer emergencies and after-hours storm drainage emergencies, call the 24-hour Trouble Response Center at 703-323-1211, TTY 711.

Sanitary sewers collect sewage and pipe it to a treatment facility. It is a system accessible through manholes, many of which say "Fairfax County Sanitary Sewer." If flooding is due to a backup from a floor drain in your home, especially if there is a sewage smell, it most likely involves a sanitary sewer. The storm drainage system is designed to collect rain water. Unlike the closed sanitary pipe system, it is an open system consisting of pipes, manholes, ditches, curb inlets, yard inlets, swales, outfalls, etc. A storm drain manhole often will say "Storm" or "VDOT."

If the flooding involves a road, call the Virginia Department of Transportation at 703-383-8368, TTY 711. If it involves a house, other building or property, contact the Maintenance & Stormwater Management Division for assistance at 703-877-2800, TTY 711 or by using the Storm Drainage Flooding Report Form.  Also see Storm Drainage and Stormwater Facilities or Floodplains for more information.

Flood insurance can be obtained through the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) at 1-800-427-4661, TTY 711. Also see the flood information web page or contact the Stormwater Planning Division at 703-324-5500, TTY 711.