Juvenile Intake Services

Fairfax County Juvenile and Domestic Relations District Court

4110 Chain Bridge Road
Room 104
Fairfax, VA 22030
703-246-2495 or 711 (TTY)

Este folleto está disponible en español.
Para obtener más información, por favor
llame al 703-246-2495 or 711 (TTY)



Juveniles thought to have committed offenses which are under the jurisdiction of the Juvenile and Domestic Relations District Court are brought into the judicial system through Juvenile Intake Services. Petitions or complaints against juveniles may be filed by police officers, citizens, families or other agencies. The court provides intake services at the courthouse in Fairfax and at its probation offices in North, South and East County.

Intake services are provided for both delinquent (criminal) and CHINS (non-criminal) offenses. An intake officer will decide whether cases are set for judicial hearings or diverted from the court and handled informally.



Criminal offenses are identified as felonies or misdemeanors. The penalties for these offenses are generally more serious than for CHINS offenses. Felonies may only be filed by law enforcement officers, with the exception of unauthorized use of a family vehicle, which can be filed by a parent. Criminal offenses may be committed against citizens, businesses or family members and can include: theft, assault, destruction of property, breaking and entering, etc. It is best to contact the police in criminal matters prior to seeking Intake Services.

Fairfax County is committed to nondiscrimination in all county programs, services, and activities. Special accommodations will be provided upon request. For information, call 703-246-2495, 711 (TTY).



CHINS (Child in Need of Supervision) offenses are non-criminal matters or status offenses. They include truancy, running away or behavior that may result in a serious threat to the well-being and physical safety of the child. Status offenses are acts prohibited by law which would not be a crime if committed by an adult, such as tobacco possession or curfew violations.

If you believe your family needs assistance with any of these issues, schedule an appointment with an intake officer for an assessment (see back for locations and contact information). It is important that your child also attend the meeting.


CHINS Truancy

Virginia Law says that the school and the truancy officer must become involved when a child accumulates a number of unexcused absences. The truancy officer will attempt interventions prior to the case being referred to court, but must make referrals if there is no improvement. Parents are encouraged to call the school to discuss concerns they are having with their child's attendance, as only the truancy officer can make these court referrals.


CHINS Runaway

According to Virginia law, a child is "in need of supervision" if he or she deserts or abandons his family or lawful custodian without consent on more than one occasion. Parents should first call the police and report the child as a runaway. All efforts should be made to determine the child's whereabouts before contacting the court. The intake officer must determine whether the child's behavior presents a clear and substantial danger to his/her life or health, as well as what other community resources the family has utilized. The parents should bring a child to meet with an intake officer after the child returns home, prior to any court involvement to see how the matter can best be addressed. It should be noted that filing a complaint with the Intake Department will not speed up the process of finding one's child.


CHINS Services

According to Virginia law, a child is "in need of services" if the child's behavior, conduct or condition is a serious threat to the well-being and physical safety of the child or of another person. The Intake Officer will meet with a child and his parents to assess issues and problems to determine the appropriate action.

State law requires the following:

  • The conduct or behavior that is the subject of complaint must present a clear and substantial danger to the child's life or health or to the life or health of another person.
  • The child or his family is in need of treatment, rehabilitation or services not presently being received and
  • The intervention of the court is essential to rehabilitation or services needed by the child/family. Please note that probation supervision is not an option for a CHINS Services case.



Appointments for custody petitions may be scheduled at juvenile intake for non-contested (all parties in agreement) third party custody matters of school-age children and cases with a court order for the Department of Family Services (DFS) involvement.  Please contact Domestic Relations regarding other custody matters (703-246-3040). 


Parent Support Group

Juvenile Courthouse
Every Tuesday at 7:30 p.m.
No appointment necessary. PARENTS ONLY.
Call 703-246-2495 or 711 (TTY)
for information.

Contact Fairfax County: Phone, Email or Twitter | Main Address: 12000 Government Center Parkway, Fairfax, VA 22035
Technical Questions: Web Administrator

ADA Accessibility | Website Accessibility
Awards | FOIA | Mobile | Using this Site | Web Disclaimer & Privacy Policy | Get Adobe Reader
Official site of the County of Fairfax, Virginia, © Copyright 2015

Website Feedback Website Feedback    Globe with various flags representing Web site language translations   Language Translations

Return to Graphic Version