FJDC COVID-19 In-Person Visitation
FJDC will resume In-Person professional visitation effective September 1st, 2020 by appointment only. At this time in-person visitation and public access to the facility is limited to professional visitation only. Parental Visitation is not permitted at this time. Professionals are limited only to those persons directly tied to the resident’s court case such as Attorney, Probation Officer, GAL or Social Worker and will be required to present identification at the time of the visit. For the foreseeable future the visitation process for professional in-person visits will require additional spacing and other precautions to minimize any risk of exposure to COVID-19.
All visits will occur by appointment only. Persons arriving to JDC that have not made a prescheduled appointment will not be granted a visitation.
All visitation will be non-contact only. No physical contact can occur to include hugging, kissing or hand shaking
Youth in COVID-19 medical Isolation or quarantine will not be permitted to participate with in-person visits. Please call ahead to ensure the status of youth prior to arriving at JDC
While in the facility, all visitors must wear a face mask that covers their nose and mouth
All visitors will be asked to wash hands prior to the visitation.
All visits will occur using appropriate spacing of visitor to resident as directed by JDC staff. This will typically consist of a table length (6 feet) between the two.
All visitors shall complete a symptoms screening upon arrival to the facility which includes the completion of a short questionnaire and temperature check. The JDC may deny access to any visitor based on concerns presented during the symptoms screening.
The screening instrument and procedures established by the FJDC are adapted from screening protocols issued by the Virginia Department of Health and are intended to provide the safest environment for our residents, staff, and visitors. Click here to see the screening FJDC will be using.
Hand Washing – All visitors will be asked to wash hands or use hand sanitizer prior to leaving the reception area to commence the visitation.
Spacing – Professional Visits shall occur in one of three designated interview rooms separated by the length of a 6-foot table positioned longways.
Cleaning – A JDC Manager will ensure disinfecting of room and furniture following each visit.
Symptom Screening – All visitors will complete a symptoms screening form for each resident they visit upon arrival to the facility which consists of screening information related to COVID-19, agreement to comply with infection control practices and a symptoms check completed by a JDC manager that includes a temperature check using a no-contact thermometer. Screening forms will be confidentially maintained by JDC in a separate binder. Retention of these forms is intended solely for the purpose of contact tracing in the event that a resident in the program becomes ill and will be purged and destroyed once the resident is released from JDC.
Any person who has a flagged indicator on the symptom screening including observation of health concerns by the screening manger will be denied access to the facility. Any visitor exhibiting active coughing or difficulty breathing may be denied access to the facility. Any person with a low-grade fever (99.8° and above) or any other reported or observed symptoms of COVID-19 may be denied access to the facility. Any visitor who has been in contact with or tested positive for COVID-19 within the past 10 days or has been directed to quarantine or isolate related to a COVID-19 diagnosis may be denied access to the facility.
Appointments may be made by contacting the Juvenile Detention Center’s Reception Desk at 703-246-2844. Appointments will only be scheduled up to seven days in advance of the date of the visit. Professional visits may be scheduled the same day as the intended visit, but the appointment must be made at least 2 hours in advance. All visits will be scheduled on a first come first served basis.
Parental Visitation (Not in effect…Facility Access for Parental Visitation is Pending)
- Saturdays from 4:00 PM – 5:15 PM
- 4:00-4:30 (Units 4, 6 and 11)
- 4:45-5:15 (Units 8 and 9)
- Sundays from 7:00 PM - 8:15 PM
- 7:00-7:30 (Units 4, 6 and 11)
- 7:45-8:15 (Units 8 and 9)
- Wednesdays from 7:00 PM - 8:15 PM
- 7:00-7:30 (Units 4, 6 and 11)
- 7:45-8:15 (Units 8 and 9)
The JDC can only accommodate three separate professional visits simultaneously and no more than two visitors can be in attendance. Professional Visits can be scheduled weekly (9:30am – 8:00pm) excluding meals times 11:30 am -1:00 pm and 4:30 pm - 6:00 pm and the above listed parental visitation times. Professional visits are scheduled in ½ hour blocks 2 consecutive blocks of time maximum may be pre-scheduled. Professional visitors may request additional time blocks on the day of the appointment, and these will be granted based on schedules and availability.
- You must be a parent or legal guardian.
- No more than two visitors will be admitted on any visitation day without prior approval.
- You will be required to present a photo identification.
- You will be required to pass through a metal detector. If the detector sounds, visitors will be required to submit to a clothing search with a security wand.
- Do not give anything directly to your child.
- Cell Phones, Purses, backpacks, briefcases should be left in automobiles – FJDC is unable to accept these items for storage behind the Front Desk. Vehicle keys must be turned into the Reception Desk prior to entering the facility.
- Youth may not access any electronic devices for any reason. Absolutely no taking of photos will be permitted.
- Children may not be left unsupervised in the lobby.
- Parents suspected of being intoxicated or under the influence of drugs will be denied admittance.
- Hostile, argumentative or disruptive visitors will be asked to leave immediately.