Juvenile and Domestic Relations District Court

CONTACT INFORMATION: Clerk's Office Hours of Operation: 8am-4:00pm M-F
703-246-3367 TTY 711
4110 Chain Bridge Road, 3rd floor
Fairfax, VA 22030
Kristi Smith
Clerk of Court

Department Resources

Related Resources

Frequently Asked Questions

Juvenile and Domestic Relations District Court - Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

If you are witness to a life and death situation, please call 911. 

If you're concerned about a child's well-being ... or want to report or discuss a possible abuse or neglect situation ... or want advice, counseling, resources or help, please call:

Fairfax County Child Protective Services Hotline
TTY 703-222-9452
Your call is confidential

Also check Frequently Asked Questions from the Virginia Courts

If you receive notice to appear in court and you are unable to appear, you need to file a Motion for a Continuance. Only a judge can grant a continuance in a case.

To file a motion, go to:

  • Fairfax Courthouse, Juvenile & Domestic Relations District Court
  • Pre-Court Window on the 3rd floor
  • The clerks will explain the process and help you fill out the appropriate forms

If you have an emergency the day of your court appearance and can not appear, call 703-246-3367 immediately and let the court know. Emergencies must be very serious for a judge to excuse your absence that day.

Call to make an appointment with an Intake Officer. At the appointment, the Intake Officer will discuss the situation and outline what options are available to you.

  • From midnight to 7am, call 703-246-2844 and ask for the Intake Officer

Call Domestic Relations (703-246-3040) to get an appointment with an Intake Officer

1) Call Domestic Relations (703-246-3040) to get an appointment with an Intake Officer.   Let the person on the phone know if: 

  • you will need an interpreter
  • there is a prior order from a court other than Fairfax J&DR Court
  • child has not been residing with you in Fairfax County for the past six months
  • you do not know the address of the child’s parent or legal guardian

2) Arrive 1/2 hour prior to your appointment to fill out paperwork (except for 8 am appointments).

3) Bring the following information with you to your appointment:

  • Completed Intake Sheet and Child’s Address History Worksheet (or the information necessary to complete the documents).  These documents are also available at Domestic Relations Services.
  • Child’s birth certificate, a copy of the death certificate, passport, social security card, DMV identification card or driver’s license, or other official form of identification.  These are useful, but not required at the appointment.
  • $25.00 check or money order payable to “Commonwealth of Virginia” for the filing fee. 
    • VISA/Master Card and cash are accepted, but only for appointments that finish before 4:00 p.m. at the courthouse.
    • If you can’t afford the $25.00 filing fee, ask the intake officer about a fee waiver. The waiver will be reviewed by a judge.
  • Copies of prior orders including but not limited to:
    • divorce decree, property settlement, protective order, and name change.
    • If you are seeking to register an out-of-state order you will need to bring certified copies of the court order(s). 
  • It is very important that you provide a current address for the other parent. If they can not be properly served with the required paperwork, there is a chance your case could be dismissed. If you can’t provide a current address, you may be required to pay a fee to have notification of the hearing published in the newspaper.

4) Juvenile Intake assists with limited types of Custody and Visitation cases.  Call Juvenile Intake (703-246-2495) to have your case reviewed if:

  • Department of Family Services is court ordered to supervise the child and/or
  • You are a third party (not the mother or father) seeking to enroll the child in school, the child is residing with you in Fairfax County, and all parties are in agreement

5) To enroll a homeless child in school, please contact the Fairfax County Public Schools Homeless Liaison

1) Call Domestic Relations (703-246-3040) to get an appointment with an Intake Officer. Let the person on the phone know if:

  • you will need an interpreter
  • there is a prior child support order from another court

2) Complete the Intake Sheet and bring it with you to your appointment. A copy of this form is also available in Domestic Relations

3) During your appointment, please advise the intake officer if you have a case with the Department of Child Support Enforcement

4) Petitions and complaints will be drafted and signed at the time of the initial interview. The documents are sent to the 3rd floor, Pre-Court Window, and your case will be assigned a court date.

5) There is a fee for filing a Spousal Support petition, payable by check or money order to “Commonwealth of Virginia

  • VISA/Master Card and cash are accepted, but only for appointments that finish before 4:00 pm at the courthouse.

6) There is no charge for filing a Child Support petition

If you receive your court-ordered child support directly, call Domestic Relations at 703-246-3040 for an appointment 

If you receive your court-ordered child support through the Department of Child Support Enforcement (DCSE) call 1-800-468-8894

Portable electronic devices are allowed inside the Fairfax Courthouse, subject to regulations:

  • Approved portable devices may be used inside courthouse common areas.
  • Even these approved devices may not be used in courtrooms for any purpose, unless expressly authorized by the presiding judge.
    • Photography, video and audio recording, and/or other audio or video transmission from inside the courthouse is strictly prohibited without written permission of the court.

Acceptable portable electronic devices include:

  • Laptop computers
  • Tablet computers
  • Mobile telephones (including phones with cameras, audio and video recording, and transmission capabilities)
  • Electronic calendars
  • E-book readers

All other cameras, video cameras, video recording equipment and recording devices that are not considered a portable electronic device are prohibited beyond the courthouse entry area. Prohibited photographic and video recording equipment may be permitted with prior written approval from an active 19th Judicial Circuit or District judge.

As of July 1, 2011, juveniles who are issued a summons for Possession or Marijuana will also be issued a Notice for Consideration of Diversion.

  • To request consideration for Diversion, the Notice must be filed with the Clerk's Office a minimum of 10 days prior to the court date.
  • The Juvenile Court Services Unit will ascertain the juvenile's eligibility for Diversion and the Clerk's Office will notify the family in writing
  • Juveniles who are not eligible for Diversion are required to appear in court on the date listed on the summons
  • Juveniles who are eligible for Diversion are required to contact Elizabeth Jones at Juvenile Intake for further information (703-246-2495).

Diversion is the informal handling of cases by the Court Services Unit. It is only available for first-time offenders who admit guilt in appropriate offenses. The benefit of a Diversion is that there is no formal charge and cases are closed within a specified timeframe provided that the juvenile is compliant with Diversion. Juveniles who are non-compliant with Diversion may be formally charged and required to appear before a judge for trial.

Two forms of Diversion are offered by JDRDC:  

  • Diversion Hearing requires the juvenile and his/her parents/legal guardians to appear before a Hearing Officer who will discuss the case and impose a consequence for the offense
  • Monitored Diversion clients are placed on a period of informal probation supervision and are required to meet regularly with a Diversion Counselor who may impose a consequence for the offense and require participation in services to assist the juvenile's and family's needs

Juveniles and their parent(s)/guardian(s) referred for Diversion of complaints involving Alcohol & Drugs may be required to participate in a substance abuse assessment and recommended treatment component.

Questions regarding Diversion may be directed to the Juvenile Intake at 703-246-2495.

Fairfax Virtual Assistant