Temporary outdoor activities and uses may require either a Temporary Special Permit or a 21-Day Non-Residential Use Permit. Please refer to the information below to determine which type of permit is required for your particular activity or use. Once you have determined which type of permit is required, please download and complete the appropriate application form and read through the associated submission requirements.
Temporary Special Permit (TSP)
A TSP may be required for certain temporary outdoor uses and activities pursuant to Part 8 of Article 8 of the Fairfax County Zoning Ordinance. Such activities and uses include:
- Carnival, circus, festival, fair, horse show, dog show, steeplechase, music festival, turkey shoot, sale of Christmas trees or other seasonal commodities and other similar activities.
- Construction material yards accessory to a construction project.
- Contractors' office and equipment sheds to include trailers accessory and adjacent to an active construction project.
- Promotional activities of retail merchants.
- Subdivision and apartment sales and rental offices.
- Temporary dwellings or mobile homes.
- Temporary farmers markets.
- Temporary portable storage containers.
- Community gardens.
Please refer to Part 8 of Article 8 of the Zoning Ordinance for specific standards associated with each of the above TSP uses.
A complete TSP application should be submitted at least six (6) weeks prior to the start date of the proposed event in order to ensure timely review and processing by this office. Further, an application that is received less than three (3) weeks prior to the start date of the proposed event or that is incomplete as described in the submission requirements will not be accepted for review and will be returned to the applicant with no further action.
TSP application forms and submission requirements are available below. Please fill out the appropriate application form and review the associated submission requirements.