Temporary outdoor activities and uses may require either a Temporary Special Permit or a 21-Day Non-Residential Use Permit. Please refer to the information below to determine which type of permit is required for your particular activity or use.
Temporary Special Permit (TSP)
A TSP may be required for certain temporary outdoor uses and activities pursuant to Part 8 of Article 8 of the Fairfax County Zoning Ordinance. Such activities and uses include:
- Carnival, circus, festival, fair, horse show, dog show, steeplechase, music festival, turkey shoot, sale of Christmas trees or other seasonal commodities and other similar activities.
- Construction material yards accessory to a construction project.
- Contractors' office and equipment sheds to include trailers accessory and adjacent to an active construction project.
- Promotional activities of retail merchants.
- Subdivision and apartment sales and rental offices.
- Temporary dwellings or mobile homes.
- Temporary farmers markets.
- Temporary portable storage containers.
- Community gardens.
A complete TSP application should be submitted at least six (6) weeks prior to the start date of the proposed event in order to ensure timely review and processing by this office. Further, an application that is received less than three (3) weeks prior to the start date of the proposed event or that is incomplete as described in the submission requirements will not be accepted for review and will be returned to the applicant with no further action.
Additional documents may be requested during the course of the application review process if deemed necessary. Such documentation may include a copy of an approved road closure permit from the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) if applicable.
The Zoning Administrator may deny any application which he or she believes may have an adverse effect on the surrounding community. If denied, an appeal may be made to the Board of Zoning Appeals within thirty (30) days. For further information regarding temporary special permits, refer to Part 8 of Article 8 of the Fairfax County Zoning Ordinance (Chapter 112 of the Fairfax County Code).
TSP application forms and submission requirements are available below. Please fill out the appropriate application form and review the associated submission requirements.