Circuit Court

Fairfax County, Virginia

CONTACT INFORMATION: Our office is open 8AM-4PM Monday-Friday

4110 Chain Bridge Road
Fairfax, VA 22030

John T. Frey,
Clerk of the Court

Department Resources

Related Resources



Fairfax Alerts

Civil Judgment Information

Search Circuit Court


Fairfax Circuit Court civil judgment orders, abstracts of judgments from Virginia courts, Federal Court judgments, foreign court judgments, Commonwealth of Virginia liens and assessments, and IRS tax liens are docketed in Land Records by the judgment clerks. Civil judgments that were docketed after September 18, 2000 are available for retrieval on the public computer terminals located in Land Records. For civil judgments docketed prior to September 18, 2000, you must visit Land Records and speak with a judgment clerk.

The Land Records Division is designed for the public to do its own research. The judgment clerks are available to aid you with your research, but they cannot perform research for you.

All Virginia civil judgment orders must comply with ยง8.01-446 of the Code of Virginia. The "ordered" clause of the judgment order must state that it is a judgment for money, the amount of the judgment, and the full names of all parties the judgment was granted for and against (et al. is not acceptable). It should also state the amount of interest and date from which interest begins. The order also should contain the defendant's address, if known. Form civil judgment orders are available in the Circuit Court courtrooms and on the link provided at the bottom of this page.

In order to docket a foreign (all out-of-state and Virginia federal court) civil judgment, the following is required:

  • A certified copy or abstract of the judgment from the foreign jurisdiction;
  • An affidavit from the Plaintiff (notarized) or Plaintiff's counsel, stating the last known address of the Plaintiff and Defendant;
  • Payment of $25.00 in cash, cashier's check, certified check, business check, or money order made payable to the Clerk of the Court. Personal Checks are not accepted.

Orders to release or vacate judgments cannot be docketed unless they include the judgment number and the names of the judgment creditor and debtor, exactly as they appear on the judgment.

For judgment related questions, call (703) 246-4159.

Confession of Judgment

An action in which the defendant, debtor or attorney-in-fact (i.e. designated agent or the judgment debtor) provides written confession of a claim against the debtor/defendant and consents to entry of judgment in favor of the creditor/plaintiff without the formality, time or expense of an ordinary legal proceeding.
Confession of Judgment Instructions


Forms for Authorization for Partial or Full Release of Judgment Lien are available from the judgment clerks in Land Records or may be downloaded from the following links and forms:


Judgment Docketing Fees

Information you may be interested in ...

In order to view PDF files, you must have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on your computer.

Fairfax Virtual Assistant