Circuit Court

CONTACT INFORMATION: Our office is open 8AM-4PM Monday-Friday
(703) 691-7320 TTY 711
4110 Chain Bridge Road
Fairfax, VA 22030
Christopher J. Falcon
Clerk of the Court

Department Resources

Related Resources


Fairfax Alerts


Search Circuit Court

EFile New Divorce Cases

Fairfax Circuit Court is pleased to announce new divorce cases are eligible for electronic filing. Click here to learn more about Electronic Filing.

Divorce Information

To obtain a divorce in Virginia, either you or your spouse must be a resident of Virginia for at least six months prior to filing for divorce. If there are no children from the marriage, you must be separated for a minimum of six months and have a written property settlement agreement before you may file for divorce. If there are children from the marriage, you must be separated a minimum of one year before you may file for divorce.

If you choose to represent yourself, you will be expected to follow the same procedures as an attorney. Please do not ask court personnel for legal advice or assistance. Court personnel are prohibited by state law from giving you legal advice or assistance. You are strongly encouraged to hire an attorney.

image of open bookThere are several different steps in filing for divorce. We have worked with the Fairfax Bar Association to develop a package to help you understand the legal procedures required to obtain a divorce.
The Divorce Complaint is filed in the Circuit Court, Civil Intake Division, along with the following:
  • VS-4 State Statistical Form (available from the Civil Intake Division)
  • Domestic Case Coversheet (available from the Civil Intake Division and  below)
  • Civil Fees (see Civil Fee Schedule ) - All fees are payable to the Clerk of the Circuit Court by cash, cashier's check or money order.  Personal checks are not accepted.
    • Filing Fee - fee required to file a Divorce Complaint
    • Service Fee
      • If the Defendant resides in Virginia, you may serve her/him through the Office of the Sheriff (see Civil Fee Schedule for Sheriff Service Fee).
      • If the Defendant does not reside in Virginia, you must make arrangements to have the documents served.
      • If the Defendant is willing to accept service of the documents, you may have the documents mailed to you; or the Defendant may come to the Circuit Court Civil Intake Division to sign the documents and accept service.
    • Resume Maiden Name Fee - (See Civil Fee Schedule)
All divorce cases will be placed in the Domestic Track of the Case Status Team.
After the divorce is final, see the Records page for information about getting a certified copy of your Final Decree of Divorce in person or through the mail.


Information you may be interested in ...

In order to view PDF files, you must have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on your computer.

Fairfax Virtual Assistant