FAIRFAX CIRCUIT COURT MARRIAGE LICENSE CORRECTION PROCEDURE
MARRIAGE LICENSE CORRECTION - CIVIL ACTION
A court order is necessary to correct any mistake on a marriage license. The case must be set for a hearing on the 9:00 a.m. (with Judge) Friday Motions Docket.
- Original Petition (notarized) plus two (2) copies.
- Original Order granting the correction, to be signed by a judge.
- Friday Motions Docket Praecipe (9:00 a.m. with Judge)
- A certified copy of the Marriage License to be corrected.
- Any supporting documentation to show why the petition should be granted.
- A self addressed stamped envelope, to receive a certified copy of court order.
Guidelines and Requirements:
- Petition, Order & Friday Motions Docket Praecipe should be filed together at the Civil Intake Counter on the third floor of the Judicial Center, 4110 Chain Bridge Road, Fairfax, Virginia.
- The Marriage License must have been issued by the Fairfax Circuit Court.
- All filings must be signed by each married individual.
- Petition & Order must be on 8 14 “ by 11” white paper, typed, double-spaced and contain the following heading: VIRGINIA: IN THE FAIRFAX CIRCUIT COURT
- All filings must include your current address and a daytime telephone number.
- All Circuit Court fees must be paid by: cash, certified check or money order. Personal checks are not accepted.
Preparing Petition, Order & Motions Docket Praecipe:
The Petition explains the nature of the mistake and provides the correct information. It also specifically asks the Court to enter an Order making the correction.
The Petition must include the following information:
- Names of the Petitioners (full names, including any maiden names, of both parties).
- The book, page and license number of the Marriage License.
- The incorrect information.
- The correct information.
- A request that the Marriage License be corrected.
- Notarized signatures of both the Petitioners (both parties).
The Order is a separate document, prepared for the judge to sign. In general, the Order will briefly restate the facts contained in the Petition and then Order that the Marriage License be corrected.
The matter must be noticed for a hearing on a 9:00 a.m. (with Judge) Friday Motions Docket. The Friday Motions Docket Praecipe must be filed with the court at least one (1) week prior to the Friday the Motion is to be heard. The deadline for filing is the Friday prior to the Friday the case is to be heard.
Filing Fees: SEE Current Fee Schedule
Marriage License Correction Petition and Order(sample) If you use the samples as a guideline, please note that the information which is underlined in italics should be completed with the information specific to your Petition or Order.
The Petitioners are responsible for making sure that the documents are complete when filed with the Clerk. Petitioners are strongly encouraged to engage an attorney in this matter. These forms are not provided as/or intended to replace legal advice or assistance.