- A parent or person with legal custody of a child can file a petition for Child Support in Domestic Relations.
- Child Support is often based upon the determination of Custody and Visitation
- NEW child support cases are generally filed in the county/state where the paying party lives or together with Custody & Visitation cases in this court
- Another option, especially when the paying party lives out of state, is to seek support through the Division of Child Support Enforcement (DCSE).
- Virginia guidelines are used by the judge to determine child support based on both parents’ incomes
- Talk with your attorney or Domestic Relations if you have questions about where to file for Child Support
- Cases brought to court are subject to filing fees