Beginning September 1, 2020, there is a new policy on viewing records:
- The viewing of records (paper and/or electronic) will now be by appointment only.
- Appointments are for 30 minutes each.
- Requests for additional time will be granted based on time availability
- A maximum of 2 appointments are permitted simultaneously
- A maximum of 3 persons will be permitted in the inspection room (301.1) at a time.
- Drop off requests will still be accepted.
- Copies are to be made by the records clerk only. The public is not permitted to make their own copies of documents. No appointment is needed to obtain copies of an order or for I&R's.
- Please allow 72 hours to fulfill large copy requests.
- Appointments can be made in person, over the phone, or via the JDRDCRecords@fairfaxcounty.gov email
- Records requests can be emailed to JDRDCRecords@fairfaxcounty.gov
- All emailed records requests must be accompanied by a copy of bar card.
- If a paralegal is requesting a document on an attorney's behalf, please submit an attorney authorization letter to JDRDCRecords@fairfaxcounty.gov
- Authorization letters granting access to paralegals will be kept on file for 1 year. Please provide a copy of ID for paralegals.
Court Orders can be obtained by coming in person to the JDRDC Records Counter on the third floor of the Fairfax Courthouse. Normal operating hours are Monday - Friday, 8:00am to 4:00pm. No files will be pulled after 3:45pm.
You will need proof of identification that you are a party to the case. Accepted identification includes:
- Valid U.S. driver's license
- DMV identification card
- Military ID
- Original birth certificate
Attorneys must show a Virginia Bar Card. You do not need to be a party to a case to receive a copy of an adult criminal warrant, protective order, or child support order, but you will still be asked to present identification. Children's information will be redacted (i.e., removed) for non-parties.
- Files will not be pulled for viewing/inspection/copies 24 hours before or after a court hearing (No exceptions)
- No more than 5 cases per day will be pulled for viewing/inspection/copies. If more than 5 cases are needed, a request can be filled out and left at Records.
- Requested records will be ready within 24 hours
- No more than 10 pages will be copied at the time of service. If more than 10 pages are needed, a request can be left with Records.
- Copies can take up to 72 hours and may be picked up or mailed.
- Payment is due at the time of service or when a request is made.
- Fee is $1.00 each for the first two pages and $.50 for each page thereafter.
- No files will be pulled for inspections/copies after 3:45PM
- Faxed requests will no longer be accepted.
If you are unable to come in person, you may mail a written request to the address below. Your request must include the case name or number, what documents you wish copied, the requestor's name, address, phone number, and a copy of the requestor's ID.
Our address is:
Court Records4110 Chain Bridge RdSuite 301Fairfax, VA 22030
Records can be reached at 703-246-2580 between the hours of 8:00am and 4:00pm.
If you are looking for information regarding the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) please click here.