Clemyjontri Park Operations
Clemyjontri carousel and train operations are closed for the season and will resume in the spring. The park is open 7 a.m. to dusk.
6317 Georgetown Pike
McLean, Virginia 22101
Park Open Daily 7 a.m. to Dusk
CLEMYJONTRI PARK features a unique playground where children of all abilities can play side-by-side. It is a playground where every child is welcome.
This park is a place where children who use wheelchairs, walkers or braces, or who have sensory or developmental disabilities, can have a parallel playground experience of fun and exploration. At CLEMYJONTRI....
- Ramps connect structures
- Swings have high backs, arm rests and special safety features
- Rubber surfacing allows wheelchairs to roll easily
- Lowered monkey bars provide easy access
- Equipment is designed to be sensory rich so all children can participate with peers
- Wider openings allows easy access to play structures
Other features include a carousel and a picnic pavilion. The entrance road leads to an 81-space parking area and a drop-off zone for vehicles whose passengers need close access. Future development will incude other amenities in the surrounding 10 acres of space.
General Admission is free; however there is a daily fee for each participant and chaperone for commercial or nonprofit groups (including day care centers, martial arts camps, YMCA, church groups, etc.). $5 for Fairfax County residents, $10 for Non-County residents. This fee does not apply to families. Space is limited for commercial/nonprofit groups. Contact the park for reservations by calling 703-388-2821.
Clemyjontri Park is closed when snow/ice is present, or in conditions of extreme weather. Please call 703-388-2807 for questions concerning weather related closings.
To the casual observer, the playground at Clemyjontri Park looks like an ordinary playground, with swings, slides and play equipment fun to climb on, under and around. A closer look will reveal that some of those swings have high backs for children who need extra support. Instead of standard transfer platforms there are ramps to the elevated play components. Pathways between equipment are wide and colorful, and the ground surfaces are non-slip and porous designed to provide a greater level of access for children.
There is something for everyone - children will be able to find something to climb on, touch, read, do or create. Children will enjoy the challenges of balance and depth perception on the playground's balance beams. A mini-track can be used to race, playhouses and cubbies offer pleasant spaces for social interaction while also allowing children seeking quiet or separate areas to play in smaller groups.
Tent sails provide areas of shade in the playground and benches are located throughout the play area. Just north of the playground is an asphalt trail that connects to site perimeter trails which will eventually encircle the park during future development.
The Two Acre Playground Consists of 4 Outdoor "Rooms" Surrounding a Centerpiece Carousel.
The Rainbow Room - With rainbow archway, surface with colors of the rainbow and a variety of swings
- Accommodates all physical levels
- Integrates sign, Braille, pictures and language
- Teaches colors of the rainbow
- Focuses on educational learning games
- Teaches where am I reading, maps and a globe
- Teaches what time it is using time zones and clocks
- Stimulates imagination
- Teaches balance and special skills
- Mimics true roadway situations
- Stimulates imagination
- Progressive challenges for physical strength
- Energy burner
- Builds confidence
Chariots, a spinning tea cup and 14 prancing steeds await only the imagination of children. The carousel is recessed to ground level so that it is accessible for wheelchairs, allowing children to transfer to the tea cup. The chariot is designed to allow for transfer to a seated position or to remain seated in the wheelchair.
2016 Carousel Operation Schedule (weather permitting*)
- March 26 - Spring Egg Hunt, 9:30am - 3pm
- April 2 - May 29: Weekends only, 9:30am - 6:30pm
- May 31 - Sept. 4: Weekdays 9:30am - 1:00pm, Weekends 9:30am - 6:30pm
- September 6 - October 30: Weekends only 9:30 am-6pm
- Special Holiday hours are as follows:
- Memorial Day (Monday, May 30th), 9:30am – 5pm
- Independence Day (Monday, July 4th), 9:30am – 5pm
- Labor Day (Monday, Sept. 5th), 9:30am – 5pm
- Columbus Day (Monday, Oct. 10th), 9:30am – 5pm
*The carousel does not operate in conditions such as heavy rain, thunder, lightning, and temperatures less than 40° F
Fee: $2/weekdays, $3/Weekends and Holidays
Parents of children under 42 inches tall are required to directly supervise their child while riding the carousel at no additional charge.
In 2010, Friends of Clemyjontri successfully raised enough money to purchase and install Virginia's first Liberty Swing, a swing which allows wheelchair users the experience of swinging without having to transfer from their wheelchair.
- The Liberty Swing is a swing that allows children in wheelchairs the opportunity to experience the joy of having a swing in the park. It is the only swing of its type that is fully lockable and allows a maximum swing height - that is, really swinging, not just rocking back and forth.
- Until now, some children have had to sit and watch from the sidelines as their siblings experience the freedom and exhilaration of a swing - something that most of us have taken for granted.
- Quote from Occupational Therapist "the therapeutic benefits are significant: visual-spatial, muscle tone, head control, self-regulation, attention, emotion. It's a wonderful product".
Users please be aware:
*Prior to use of the Liberty Swing the user (or guardian) needs to complete a liability release.
*Two keys are required to use the swing: one to unlock the gated area surrounding the swing and another to unlock the swing itself. Keys are only guaranteed available when the park is staffed (carousel is operating). If you plan to visit on a day when the carousel is not operating and you wish to use the swing, please contact the office prior to your visit at 703-388-2807 x0 to make arrangements for a key.
*For users who desire to have a personal set of keys, they are provided free of charge at the Clemyjontri Park office during carousel operating hours (or by arrangement).
The picnic pavilion, open daily dawn to dusk, is a wonderful location for community meetings, picnics, and gatherings. There is direct access to the pavilion from the parking area and entrance to the playground.
The picnic pavilion is available for half-day and full-day rentals. When not reserved, the shelter is available on a first-come, first-served basis. Additional picnic tables are located on the property outside of the picnic pavilion when the pavilion has been reserved. Picnic Pavilion reservations cannot be made at Clemyjontri Park. Please see rental information and make a reservation here.
Features of the Pavilion:
- The shelter is aproximately 38' by 38', and holds six accessible tables to seat up to 48 individuals (including spaces for 16 wheelchairs).
- Cantilevered tops and cut out areas allow easy wheelchair access for children and adults.
- The pavilion offers both adult and accessible water fountains, as well as accessible restrooms with baby changing tables.
- Two GFI duplex electrical outlets are provided for public/park use.
Please protect your park and keep all food and beverages away from the playground equipment and surfacing.