The Fairfax County Park Authority is accepting applications for curatorship of the historic Ash Grove property now until November 17, 2021.
APPLICATIONS NOW OPEN.
Ash Grove is one of the few standing 18th century Virginia houses, and was built by the Fairfax family. Thomas Fairfax built the original portion of the house in 1790, and the family inhabited the house until 1847. The house sits on approximately one acre of land between the densely wooded Old Courthouse Spring Branch stream valley and the Westwood Village townhouse subdivision. Conveniently located on the edge of burgeoning Tysons Corner and approximately 2/3 mile from the new Spring Hill Metro Station. The property’s grounds have several historic structures including the house and restored 18th century brick kitchen, and smokehouse.
Ash Grove is a stately Federal style 2.5 story, center hall house with 4,200 square feet of finished space. A serious fire in 1960 could have doomed the legacy of Ash Grove House. Fortunately however, many of the architectural features had been removed from the house prior to restoration work including; original doors, windows and much of the interior woodwork. A set of Historic American Buildings Surveys (HABS) architectural drawings and photographs from the 1930’s proved instrumental in restoring the fire damaged house. Some of the wood floors still bear charring marks from the fire.
12000 Government Center Pkwy
Fairfax, VA 22035