Repair of wood windows will occur from April through end of November 2022.
APPLICATIONS NOW OPEN.
Mount Gilead is an eighteenth-century vernacular-style house that was originally built as a combined residence and tavern. In 1831, a tanner, Malcolm Jamesson, began living in the house. The Jamesson family lived there for about 100 years, from the 1830s to the 1930s, and established a family cemetery on the grounds that is still standing today.
In 1935, efforts were made to preserve and rebuild Mount Gilead. Further changes to the property were made during the 1950s and 1960s with the addition of a kitchen and an office on the east and west sides of the house.
The house was recorded as part of the Virginia Landmarks Survey, as well as in the 1969 Historic American Buildings Survey. In 1996, Mount Gilead was purchased by Fairfax County Park Authority.