The Old Floris Schoolhouse is a four-room school built in 1911. It stands where a one-room schoolhouse was built in 1876. A two-room school succeeded that first school in 1901. A fourth building, the Floris Vocational Technical High School, was built alongside and opened in 1921.
These two schools served the Frying Pan/Floris community for years. The Fairfax County School Board stopped using them during the 1950s. The high school was torn down, but the four-room schoolhouse remained. A Fairfax County Extension Agent, Joseph Beard, proposed that the building and land be preserved as a youth center to serve the Future Farmers of America, a 4-H Club, and scouting groups and to serve as a site for fairs and community recreation.
In 1960, the land was deeded to the Fairfax County Park Authority. Subsequent events, land acquisitions, and community involvement led to the development of Frying Pan Farm Park.
Today, the Old Floris Schoolhouse serves as a family-farm-oriented preschool during the academic year and as a day camp in summer. Katydid, Inc., manages both.
Information and registration for preschool and Tiny Tot programs are through the schoolhouse at 703-689-3104. Information and registration forms for spring break and summer day camps appear in the spring and summer issues of Parktakes magazine and on Parktakes Online.
P.O. Box 710516
Oak Hill, VA 20171-0516
12000 Government Center Pkwy
Fairfax, VA 22035